Chapter 1: The Hatchling

Her widened eyes pin to the sickly light; the woman hadn't moved an inch on the bed.

Tick.    Tick.     Tick.
From the distance a jet-haired man studies her scrawny, black-sludged face; disappointed yet unsurprised. Before he knew it rain thunders down the crippled trees outside, blaring, roaring like an avalanche of boulders. He is allured towards the forest where he had found her.

“Such a shame, she had such beautiful red eyes.” In her empty pupils he could see lighting reflect in silent flashes of white; though a sinister raven shrieks away the quietude. He looks at her with a menacing gaze.

“No one likes an enigma.”

The man rises from his throne chair and saunters into his bedroom. He sinks into his grey, king-sized solitude.

That feeling one week ago…… I wonder, was that you? No, it doesn't matter, you're dead now. The least you could've done was tell me your name.

The next morning he rises from his bed and gazes over the window, a frosty glaze forms over his reflection. Lucifer slips on a black suit, slides on a blue tie and hurries without so much as a glance over the sofa.

Many people of this country tend to speak of this man, some would describe his work place as a giant white palace towering three storeys high, some others like to point out how his wealth and status remain unmatched -though amongst these discussions he could see her nonchalantly leaning against a pillar; waiting.

“Long time no see, Lucy." The woman confronts him with cat-like eyes and a long, sinister grin.

"I see you've been well." Her villainous smile revolts him, Lucifer sinks deep into his pockets and scowls. “But please, get my name right next time.”

The woman’s grin widens. "Hmmm, I'll have to think about it…… Anyway, Lucy, you have more paperwork to do. I'll send it to you through Heather. From the looks of it those annoying elves are up to something again.” He could see her face melt back into a stern guise, her voice deepens with each word she speaks. “WATCH YOUR BACK.”

He studies the louring swarm of clouds. Just for a moment she is entranced by his ink hair and ocean-blue eyes, she found it difficult to believe that a man like him would have a history like that.

“No Ayumi, I think you’ve been mistaken.” His blue eyes flicker to hers. “There's no way those elves can plan a revolt, -and that stupid Rosell is the reason why. I’ve been thinking, perhaps they're looking for someone.”

“Like who?”

“Dunno……” Thunder clouds tumble in. Ayumi turns to him, eyes pinned with caution.

“-Though, that's not the only reason.”

“Just what do you mean?” She wonders.

“Hmmm…… Well Ayu, you’ll just have to join me to find out.” Lucifer smiles his devilish smile.

Out from the shadows Lucifer and Ayumi loom towards an unsuspecting elf; she sits sternly within the dimly-lit chamber. They dance around her in anticipation, each step they make reverberates through the room like thunder and lightning. Her widened eyes snap from place to place with every resounding step. Ayumi leans right over her, her merciless, bloodthirsty eyes stare mockingly into her soul.

“Oh, It's you. Could you please stop staring at me?” Though Ayumi remains unimpressed, in her mind Rosell was no more than a fragile little girl. “I SAID STO-”

“-SHUT YOUR MOUTH. I only take orders from the strong.” A gasp escapes the elf’s lips. At the same time a hand reassures Ayumi; she steadily backs away.