The Heart's Desire

It was a beautiful spring day. I was in my office ready to head out and have lunch at my favorite cafe restaurant. It was actually the place where me and my ex, Jared Leto, always had coffee to go and sometimes we liked to have lunch there. Fortunately I haven't seen him coming to this place ever since the break up happened, so I continued coming to that place.

It's been six months since we've ended the two years long relationship. I've never loved anyone the way I loved Jared. No one has ever made me feel the way I felt with him. It was a special bond and such an intense relationship. Never in my life have I imagined I'd have something like that. Nevertheless, I felt lucky to have the chance to experience such a strong love, even if it wasn't meant to last forever.

After my break up with Jared I was crushed. Both of us were. Jared even tried to make it work again, and convince me to give our relationship another chance, but I was determined to break it off. He used to come to my door every day, left me flowers and begged me to talk to him, but it was all in vain. I just needed my life to be normal. Without any pressure.

The break up was a true agony. I couldn't get out of my bed for two weeks. I loved him so much, but I couldn't handle all the gossip about him and other girls, and him being away most of the time.

Now, I've started seeing someone new, and with every day I'm more sure that I've gotten over Jared. Chad and I have been on a couple of dates and he seems like a really nice guy who could actually make me happy. Chad is tall, dark, charming, extremely handsome and he knows how to make you laugh. He's a PR manager for various celebrities and he's very well situated. He was even supposed to join me for lunch today but he had an urgent meeting and had to call for a rain check.
I came to the restaurant, sat outside to enjoy the spring air and ordered lunch. Once I started eating I heard my phone ringing. It's Chad. He just sent me a photo of his messed up shirt and loosen up tie and the caption saying

***Sooo tired. Wish I was with you instead. XO. ***

I smiled and sent him my selfie, with puckered lips sending him a kiss. My phone ringed and it's my BFF.

"Hey girl, what's up? Where have you been these days? I can't seem to find you anywhere?", she asked.

"Hey honey, I'm having lunch at The Pinot . I know, we have to meet up. It's been so hectic these few weeks. You know the fashion week's coming up and we're completely swamped with work. How are you? Anything new?"

"Pinot? Really?", she asked with a strange tone in her voice. She knew that was mine and Jared's favorite place so she was a bit worried.

"Of course. You know I've been coming here forever.", I answered.

"Have you seen anyone familiar?", she asked insinuating I was waiting for Jared to pop up from somewhere.

"Very funny. No, I haven't seen anyone. I told you he's not coming here anymore, otherwise I would've bumped into him eventually. ", I answered.

"OK, just checking. So, when are the two of us having coffee, or dinner, or something? I really miss you." , she said.

"How about tomorrow night? Right here at The Pinot.", I suggested.

"Wow, you really love that place. Sure, it's a date. See you then", she said and we both hung up.

As I checked my phone to see if I've gotten any messages, and finish the last bite of my lunch I looked up and couldn't believe my eyes.

It was Jared.

Crossing the street and coming right towards the restaurant, holding some girl's hand. They started smiling and she hugged him, but he was not that happy as she was. He felt a bit forced to a hug.