Exchange

DEATH HUNG HEAVY IN THE AIR, mingling with fear and soft groans that never seemed to cease. Moans that echoed from the city outside were a constant reminder of the reality they had so quickly slipped into. 

This was their never-ending nightmare. 

Icy blue eyes darted around the room taking in their surroundings, a room that seemed to suck the very life from every soul in it. Not a single speck of color could be seen and the walls, once white, were now a shade of gray except for a few remaining white squares where pictures had once resided. 

To the left was one of the two windows in the room. Even though it was wide open, not a single bird could be heard, no bustling of civilians trying to get to work, no horns blaring at pedestrians making their way across the street — Nothing. Only a soft breeze making the curtains billow around the individual sitting next to it. Nothing is as it was; however, the people here did their best to hold onto what had been, going about their daily routine as if nothing had happened. 

Ironically, the place they had once viewed as a prison was now their sanctuary, the one thing keeping them alive, protecting them from the horrors that now prowled the streets. Now that death walked about outside they held onto this place, held onto each other. But she was not part of them. She was on her own, no matter how many times they told her this wasn't true. 

Her eyes fell to the jade pendant that now wove in and out of her fingers, a reminder of how alone she really was and how cruel this world had become. It was her reminder to not get too close, not to anyone. Her mind began to wander as her eyes swam in the shades of jade.

"Skye!" a voice called out, making her head jolt upwards to meet the eye's of the group's leader, Guillermo. She let her necklace fall back to her chest. Raising her eyebrows, she waited. "They're here! Come now. They have him!" To another member of the group who had been keeping watch on an Asian guy that they had taken hostage, "Take him to the roof! Hurry!" Turning on his heels, Guillermo took off back the way he had came.

With a sigh, Skye swung her boots from where they rested on the table and took her time to follow him out through the glass doors.

As Skye approached the entrance to the headquarters, she could hear that the party had already started without her. Guillermo was already outside going back and forth with a man with a strong Southern accent. She pushed past some of the other members and stepped out into the sunlight next to Felipe, whom she noticed was holding a white rag on his backside, making her smirk. Seeing the man G was talking to, she saw he wore a Sheriff's uniform and now had a gun pointed straight at Guillermo. Behind him was a boy she recognized to be Felipe's cousin and a scruffy man who stood close behind with his crossbow backing up the Sheriff.

"We were hoping more for a calm discussion," the Sheriff stated, his sense of authority evident.

Guillermo was nothing but serious when he motioned to the man behind the sheriff. "That hillbilly jumps Felipe's cousin, Felipe gets an arrow in the ass and you want a calm discussion." There was a hint of shock in his voice. Felipe shifted uneasily on her left as he craved revenge. "You fascinate me," G continued.

"Heat of the moment. Mistakes were made," with a nod, the Sheriff added, "on both sides."

Understanding, Guillermo moved on. "Who's that dude to you anyways? You two don't look related." He nodded towards the guy wielding the crossbow.

"He's one of our group, more or less. I'm sure you have a few like him," he gave a suggestive look towards Felipe, making Skye smirk yet again. Felipe was known for being quite the hothead. Skye looked up to see the other man hadn't taken his eyes off of her since she made her appearance, but that quickly changed.

"You got my brother in there?"

"Sorry. Fresh outta white boys. But I got Asian. Interested?"

"I have one of yours. You have one of mine. Sounds like an even trade," said the Sheriff.

"Don't sound even to me," G stated, receiving many pleas from the young one and a stern look from Skye. Her eyes narrowed at the way he was handling this. This should be simple. Shaking her head, she spun around and headed back inside not wanting to see how this played out. Passing by the men of the group, she muttered, "Bargaining with a kid's life...Pathetic."

----------------------

Skye watched from her corner as a group formed around Marco, one of the inhabitants of the nursing home, as he struggled for breath

Skye watched from her corner as a group formed around Marco, one of the inhabitants of the nursing home, as he struggled for breath. She had decided to stay out of the way and just sat back, not being one to jump into these situations. Felipe rushed in to the rescue with an inhaler, pushing past the Asian boy who stood nearby hoping the old man got that relief of air to his lungs. Movement at the entrance caught her attention as Guillermo walked in followed by the men from before. Her eyes stayed glued to them as they regrouped with the Asian.

After a moment, one of them exclaimed, "We thought you was being eaten by dogs, man!" The four men and Skye looked down at three Chihuahua's barking from their plush bed on the floor. A smile played across her lips at the thought of those being the vicious dogs they had imagined, one of Guillermo's scare tactics at work. 

The men headed for an empty room off to the right of her and as they walked past she saw the Sheriff had a bag full of weaponry that she assumed was the bag from the street. She kept trying to read them, to judge what kind of men they really were, but nowadays that's near impossible. Everyone has either changed or puts up a front to make it seem that they have come out as a badass. All too scared to let their walls down, to feel vulnerable. She got the feeling the Sheriff was a good man, a good leader and her feelings were usually pretty accurate in the past. He seemed to have the respect of the other members that travelled with him. The Asian boy was quiet, at least while at the nursing home, and he seemed unsure of himself, but who isn't. It was the man who now stood in the doorway stealing glances at her that intrigued her most. Sure, he seemed to be the asshole of the group but there was something about him, something in his eyes that she felt she could relate to.

Daryl stared out at the girl he had seen outside when they had first arrived. She had caught him off guard. The way the sun had hit her revealing the deep auburn tones of her hair, which was twisted in a long braid and her crystal blue eyes radiating despite the pain that she had been through shining out through them. She was clad in all black clothing that clung to her figure, making him wonder how she could even move, and a black leather jacket. 

There was something that urged him to go talk to her. He chewed on his lip, confused on where these feelings were coming from, but he wrote it off as just the loneliness this new world brought along with it. Just as his eyes met hers the others were ready to go and as quick as they had came they were gone. 

In that instant her mind was a whirlwind. Without thinking it through she jumped from her seat and without so much as a goodbye, she was gone.