prologue

Everything felt grey. I woke up to a loud ringing in my ears, a sound that cuts right through my skull like a sharp, steel sword. There was also a deep crackling sound, a slow and steady hum. The entire scene before me looked washed out – filtered to black and white. I rubbed my eyes, hoping I can bring back all color to the world. But no matter how hard I try, I couldn't get the world to go right.

This is not what being colorblind is like, right? This a complete lack of color, and I can only see black, white, grey. Minutes of sitting here, and I'm still waiting for my vision to correct itself.

"What on earth are you doing here?" a voice cut through the noise, and I spun around to the direction it came from. Disoriented and disheveled, I was still not completely sure what was happening around me. From behind, I feel strong hands grabbing at my wrist, and pulling me into a closet.

Breathing heavily, I could feel the confusion that was flooding me entirely.

"What's happening? Who are you? Where am I?" the questions spill from my mouth in a low hushed whisper of panic. It all felt a leaden grey, heavy in my heart. There was a darkness to this place that weighed my entire body down. Frantically, I look to my left, but found no one there. I look to my right, and again, I find no one. I am alone. Why am I alone?

The air filled with the rich smell of brewed coffee slowly getting sweetened with creamer. I could feel the warmth of it spilling into my skin, and I begin to relax. I close my eyes, and when I open them again, I am in floating in dark grey waters, under a dark grey sky. It was night, and the smell of coffee was completely gone. It was replaced with the salty smell of my temporary bed: the sea, which was completely still. Until the sky rumbled, and in a flash of light, the waves came rolling past me, and I was engulfed by the water. Everything was dark, I couldn't see. I screamed for help, but I was alone, crying at my futile attempts to free myself from the dark, rushing currents of the ocean. I closed my eyes and screamed, raging against the dying light inside me.

I gasp loudly, my body sitting up on its own. I look around and there's color again. I feel the tears in my cheeks, and I began to cry fresh tears – this time, of relief. How many times has it happened? That I dreamt I was drowning in dark, salty waves, completely helpless against this incredible force of nature? There was a ringing in my ears, and my leaden chest began to lighten.

"It was a nightmare," I realized with dread. A nightmare again.

"No, it was a dream. Just a dream. Breathe." I whispered to the air around me, getting images of the words wrapping around me like a protective cloak, warm and tough. "I am safe now." I hug my knees close to my chest, and turn my head to watch the sunrise through my window. "I am safe for now," I thought.

There are colors. I am safe. I am safe.