Does Love mean Happiness?

I sometimes think about what would have happened if Mulder and Scully had parted their ways long ago.
If Scully had moved to England and became a world renowned doctor in the field of cancer research.
If Mulder had stayed in D.C., continued his work with the F.B.I., maybe even on the X Files with some whiney mid-fourties partner named Joe.
Mulder and Scully would have lost contact years ago.
But when Scully is offered the position of the Head Physician at a D.C. hospital, she decides to move back.
One day she gets a special case. A boy, about 12 years old, with a growth in his brain, nearly impossible to treat.
And Scully wouldn't find out that he is in fact Mulder's step son until the day of the surgery.
She sees him sitting by the boy's side, holding his hand and talking to him. She can't believe her eyes.

She can not believe.

Frozen - she watches him from the door when Mulder's wife comes in. He turns around and their eyes meet.
They look at each other and it feels like forever.
To Scully, it feels like happiness, love and pain, all at the same time.
To Mulder, it is fear because he never told his wife about his feelings for Scully and because he realises that those feelings are still there.
The worried mother wouldn't notice a thing. And Mulder would pretend not to know Doctor Scully.
Pain. Confusion. Disappointment.

Scully would perform the surgery and - of course - save the boy.

And another month would pass, before Mulder appeared at her doorstep. He would tell her how much he missed her and how sorry he was. And greatful.
And they would talk. And talk. For hours.
They would be sitting on Scully's couch with a glass of red wine when Mulder tells her that he loves her.
Scully would remind him of his family even though she wants him to herself.
Mulder would lie. He would tell her that he ended things with his wife.
Scully would believe him. Just because she is, after all, madly in love with him

They wouldn't know that only a few weeks later he would not only break her heart, but lose her trust.

For good.