Something new...

I had a usual routine. Wake up, breakfast with Lily and Alice, go to classes, make one point of eye contact with Black per day and then spend my evening either in the library, the great hall or by the tall oak tree over looking the black lake. Tonight it was the black lake. My routine was slightly out; James Potter and his goonies were not in class today so my daily eye contact with the mysterious Mr Black was incomplete. It didn't bother me much but I liked sticking to my routine, it was a way of keeping sane in this mad place. I loved Hogwarts don't get me wrong but being brought up in a normal, non magical world is was what I was used too. I love the powers I had but there were times that I would become so insecure or anxious of my abilities. I'm young! I'm still growing and learning to control my magic.

Setting down my quill, I stared at the ripple of water in my sight. It was a stressful first week back at school but our 6th year was one I was looking forward too. I hadn't even noticed that my body had gone limp and my breathing heavy until I suddenly woke from a sudden snapping of a twig. I should be more careful where I fall asleep. Gripping my wand I sat up, snapped my head over my shoulder and relaxed slightly. My routine had now been completed today.

"How long have you been there.." I cleared my throat, lowered my wand and sat up so I was looking more presentable.

"Long enough... having a nap were we?" The tall broody boy smirked. Hiding my blush as best as I could, I tucked my hair behind my ear and nodded. I watched as he made his way over, his long legs stretching the distance between us effortlessly.

"I think... this is our first conversation...." he smirked, wand twirling in between his fingers. I chuckled, amused at his sudden outburst of thought.

"Hardly!.."

"I mean a real one. Not the fake ones in front of James.... at least I hope they were fake words" He playfully put his hand over his heart. A laugh was my response and he smiled at my reaction.

"They were fake, I promise!" I reassured him. He watched me for a moment, a look of questioning clear on his unusually attractive face.

"What is it?" I asked

"My parents would have a fit if they saw me talk to you...." he grinned almost proudly at his observation. Ah yes, a pure blood!

"Yes, why is it that you are talking to me? Our friends have an understanding that we wouldn't fit in each others social norms as it were" I shook my head, I too smiling at the observation. His smile never left as he spoke again, only this time he had a slight glimmer of excitement to his words.

"If you haven't noticed by now, I don't give a flying fuck about my parents!" He brushed his hair back, the bouncy locks swishing through his fingers.

"PADFOOT?? OI WHERE ARE YOU?" the familiar voices of James Potter and Remus Lupin echoed across the grounds. Sirius smiled fell slightly but he keep a pleasant happy face.

"Looks like my little chit chat has been cut short.... shame, I was looking forward to having a little chin wag with you..." He muttered, mostly to himself but I was in close distance that I was able to hear every words. He sprinted away towards the direction of his best friends' voices. I sat and replayed his last words. He was looking forward to talking to me? What would he gain from it? Since the beginning we have had nothing to do with each other, only a mer glance shared since that day I saw him outside of our classroom and the occasion fake sarcastic comment for the benefit of my friends and his...
Thinking about it, I had never really understood why we never really talked. He rebelled against his parents and wanted to explore the life of muggles and all things good, so perhaps talking to me was his way to rebel further...

Getting up from the ground, I gathered my homework and shoulder bag before slowly trekking back toward the castle. It was almost curfew and stupidly I completely forget about dinner. I groaned as I felt my stomach gurgle and moan due to the lack of feeding. Making sure I kept an eye out for any teachers, I snuck down to the dungeon to find the painting of fruit. I tickled the pear gently and in front of me opened the passage into the kitchen.

"Good evening Miss Green! Hungry are we?" A tiny beady eyed house elf scurried to my feet. I smiled, crouching down to her so we could talk on an equal level.

"I missed dinner! Completely forgot" I chucked slightly, feeling the stomach acid turn again.

"Let me dish you up something, I think we have left overs from dinner!" she bounced off to the other side of the room, spooning a delicious looking stew into a container for me, along side with mash potato. "Chicken casserole with mash. I remembered you make a request for it to be served for dinner once last year!" She beamed, rushing back over with her arms raised, holding my dinner in her tiny hands.

"I did! Well remembered! Thank you so much" I grinned, waving good bye to the rest of the kitchen elves and the little lady herself. I stuffed my dinner into my bag and made my way back up to the top of the castle as fast as I could.

"Miss Green, I'd expect better of you." The sigh came from the one teacher I wanted to avoid. McGonagall. I scrunched my face up before turning to face her, a guilt waving over me.

"Professor.."

"Please, Miss Green, it's all ready a shame that it's one of my best students that I'm catching after hours. 10 points from Gryffindor and detention tomorrow night with me... now off to bed! I hope to not catch you out of hours again!" She shook her head, pushing her glasses up her nose. Disappointing Professor McGonagall was literally one of the worst things you could do. It was like hitting a puppy! I nodded and hastily made my way to the top of the Gryffindor tower.

"Fortuna" I muttered to the portrait. I hate calling her the fat lady... it's rude and besides she's only slightly rotund! She swung open, giving me a stern look. Stepping instead, I rounded the corner towards the fire place and sat down on a cushion placed on the floor. I smiled as I pulled out my dinner and started to tuck in, bringing my knees to my chest and watching the fire dance as I ate!

"Maxine Francis Green! You little madam, where were you!???" The frightfully worried sound of Lily Evans made herself present in the room, I turned my head over my shoulders to watch her come down the stairs. It was then that I notice James, Sirius and Remus sat in the corner with an amused smirk.

"Evans darling...." James stared but before he could even take another breath she put her hand directly in front of his face to block him. He huffed and gave a playful pout.

"Calm down mother Evans..." I put my fork down, wiping my mouth a little.

"Calm down? Max you told me you were popping to the library to return our books and never came back!" She sighed, sitting in front of me and blocking my view of the fire.

"I did... I just went to the lake afterwards to do some work and fell asleep.." I rolled my eyes, picking up my fork again, shoving my food happily into my gob

"MAXINE! Oh my god, you can't just fall asleep outside like that, what if you got kidnapped or something! Where you alone when you woke up?" Of course I wasn't alone. My eyes flickered towards the group of boys and naturally the one I was indeed with flashed me a smug grin and knowing wink. I tried hard not to smile, but it was rather fun having a little secret.

"Yes Lillian I was alone! I came straight back to the castle and got some dinner before coming up!" I lifted my container before taking another bite. She sighed and nodded with acceptance of my story. Standing up she walked towards the stairs.

"At least you didn't get caught on the way up here..." she smiled, proud that I was still able to be the good little student like herself. Lily took pride in never getting into trouble.

I pulled my lips back and kept my eyes on the fire. Should I tell her that I got caught and have detention. She would snap at me!

"Mmm hmm" I nodded, finishing off the last of my dinner and throwing the container into the bin. Standing up, I swiftly made my way towards Lily.

"Goodnight Green" the boys grinned at me, there voices almost sing song like as they said goodnight. I looked at them confused but the only face I had my eyes locked on was Blacks. Sending yet another wink, I smiled this time, sending a small wave to all 3 of the boys before marching up the stairs with my best friend. Although I had a routine everyday, talking to the mysterious Sirius Black was something new and to be honest, I was curious.