Oh Maxine darling!

I was very wrong. Lily asked more questions than I could process. Eventually I just snapped and told her the truth, which sadly made for an awkward sleepover since Lily got so upset that I lied to her. She ended up ignoring me the whole night! It was the next morning and she still hadn't forgiven me. I tried to explain why I lied but each time she would turn to Marlene or Alice and start up a conversation. It was the end of the last class of the day. I was partnered with her in Potions and we had to present a draught of living death. The whole lesson she either cut me off every time I spoke or ignored me.
At this point, I just wanted to burst into tears. Lily bottled up our potion, handed it to Professor Slughorn and left as soon as he dismissed us all. I, for one, sat back on my stool and didn't leave with the rest of the class. I stared at the desk top, feeling frustrated and sorry for myself. I rested my forehead on my arm and took a deep breath

"She's was being a little bit of a cow to you today!" The familiar voice I was waiting to hear today spoke up. I looked up from my arm, brushing my hair back from my face. The class room was empty but standing in the doorway, leaning with an amused smile was of course Black with his hair hanging around his face gracefully and a cigarette tucked behind his ear. Tst Tst! I looked at him with a sigh and nodded with agreement. I didn't want to talk, I was too stressed out and trying to think up some way of getting Lily to speak to me. Frowning, he walked across the room and over to me, sitting beside me, surprisingly, quite close.

"Tell me what happened?" His voice lowered to one of concern. It was a tone that I had never heard come from him. I knew that he cared about his friends dearly, but him and compassion was not something I would have thought matched up.

"She kept asking me where I was last night. I told her I felt sick but she said she didn't believe me because she saw you run behind me as soon as I bolted. I finally admitted that I got detention for being out past curfew and I also told her that you were in detention with me and she just blew up!" I scoffed, screwing up some of my notes from class before tossing it across the room to the bin. He grinned at me, shaking his head back and forth.

"Why are you grinning Black! Are you enjoying me being miserable!" I folded my arms. He held his hands up in defence and shook his head

"Not at all; it's just interesting to see you angry. You're always so sweet most the time. I like seeing you angry! It suits you" he threw a wink and naturally I rolled my eyes but for some reason my stomach twisted slightly. That was weird

"I don't know what to do" I rested the side of my forehead against my palm, propping it up by elbow

"You want me to talk to her?"

"NO!" I gasped, covering his mouth my hand. It realised in that second that it was my first physical contact with him so I snatch my hand back, sitting on it. His grin never faded, if anything it grew wider

"Why not?"

"Because, she was already mad that I was in detention with you, imagine if she knew we were friends! They would all think something was up!" I shrugged, trying to make up an excuse. I highly doubt they would get mad, if anything they would be just surprised. Besides, I was enjoying having a secret chat every now and then, it made things around here interesting!

"We're friends now are we?" He wiggles his eyebrows and loosened his tie. He seemed slightly flushed. My cheeks heated up and a nervous chuckle fell out of my mouth. He stood up and walked towards the door "Yesterday we were detention buddies, but looks like I got an upgrade today." He turned back to me, took his cigarette from behind his ear and placed it between his lips. "See you around sweetheart!" He playfully saluted and left me alone in potion class room once more.

It was weird that in the space of three days I had befriended the one person our friends couldn't imagine me being friends with. It was nice having talks with him without the pressure of judgement from our peers, however if they really cared about us I doubt they would be judgement at all. However, from Lily's reaction to detention with him last night, she wouldn't be pleased. I set off out of the class room and made it my mission to find her and confront her about the whole ordeal. It took nearly an hour but after searching around, I found her in the common room, sitting by the fire... with everyone there. Including Sirius.

I cleared my throat a little and everyone, minus Lily, looked up at me.

"Lily.." I started but she just stared at the fire. I waited for a few seconds, my eyes darting around as the group of boys and Alice and Marlene watched me. Growing impatient, I clenched my hand together and took a deep breath

"Jesus shit.." I muttered "Lillian Evans, will you bloody look at me!" I barked. To my luck she turned to me and huffed. "For the last time. I am sorry I lied to you about getting that detention. I didn't tell you because I knew how disappointed with me you'd be, especially since you're a prefect now. But my god! Why are you giving me such shit for it! It's not like I stepped on a dead baby or something! I got detention!" I rubbed my forehead, getting exhausted

"Green, cool it!" James scoffed. I snapped my head towards him and set a glare in his direction, harsh enough to make a Dementor shiver.

"Shut it Potter!" Lily sneered, talking for the first time. Keeping her eyes on me, she sighed and stood up.

"Fine... I guess I've been a bit hard on you. I just wished you told me in the first place. You NEVER keep secrets from me!" And it wasn't the only one I was keeping. I flashed a look towards Sirius who was sat back watching with amusement. Smug bugger! I nodded with agreement before Lily pulled me in a hug. Marlene scoffed before getting up and trotting away.

"Urgh, I could smack her" I muttered after Lily pulled away.

"That would be fun to see!" Sirius spoke up, smirking in our direction. Everyone watched us carefully. It was like we were in cage to them and they wanted to see how we would react to one an other.

"Yeah, but it would be fun to see someone slap you too though Black!" I folded my arms, trying desperately not to smile. He too was trying hard to keep a poker face as he quip lashed back

"Oh Marxine darling! Don't bruise my heart now!" He rolled his eyes before jumping up and sitting across the room with a different girl. I wanted to laugh and smile at the make believe cat fight between us but our friends were still pulling faces of amusement and curiosity. They liked to see us fight, but who said we couldn't fight if we were friends. If anything, that little lash between us was quite flirty!

I saw Sirius grin as he walked away, stealing a glance at me and nodded as a way of saying "well done". I sat down with Lily and we had a little quiet one on one chat, discussing how our day was and what happened during the detention. Of course I left out a few details that involved Sirius.

All that played in my mind was what would happen the day I tell Lily about the other lie I was keeping from her. Surely she would blow up.