For the 96, Justice: A Hillsborough Story

A/N: Hey guys, this is a small story losely based on the events of the Hillsborough Disaster of April 15th, 1989. If this offends you, this was not my intention and I apologize in advance. Thanks for reading.

~.~

Pa says that I’m finally a big boy and that I can go with him to games now. I’m really really really happy that I can go finally watch Liverpool play! I can’t wait to go see the lads play tomorrow, it will be the first time! I can’t sleep, I keep staring at the clock, but it won’t go faster! Why won’t time go faster? I want to see the sun come up, so we can get in the car and we can drive to Sheffield to see Liverpool! Want to know a secret? I’m going to go play for them one day. I have my ball, and I play every day on the streets with Johnny. Johnny always tells me that I won’t play, that I’m no good, but I don’t believe him. Once, he told me that if I ate too many blueberries I would turn blue and that was a lie! Mum told me so! I will show him, one day when people are screaming "Daniel! Daniel!" at Anfield! People will remember me, and years after I stop, people will keep talking about me. I must sleep now, Pa says if I don’t wake up early he will leave without me! I must sleep now, I mus….

Today is the day! I woke up Pa, he kept saying that he wanted to sleep longer but I told him we had to get up! It was hard, but I made sure his eyes stayed open and I ran back to my room, and I put on my Liverpool shirt. I look like a real player, I think. I stick a black pen in my pocket, I might meet a football player, and he can sign my shirt! Maybe then I can ask him how I can be a footballer, I bet that would make Johnny  jealous! It should be time to go, but Ma keeps telling me that I need to finish my eggs before we leave. Why doesn’t she understand that I don’t want to eat? I want to go see Liverpool! Pa closes his eye at me and calls Ma to help him look for his keys. This is my chance! I grab my plate and run outside and throw my eggs on the floor, Blackie can eat it, he’s a smart dog! I make it back in time so Ma don’t see nothing and I am happy, we can leave now! Ma says to be careful, and return quickly ‘cause we have to be back at night for dinner at grandpa’s. My dad gives her a hug and tells her he will, that we will be home at 7 sharp. Ma gives me a forehead kiss and ruffles my hair. Finally! We are on our way to see the Reds…

There are a lot of people here to watch Liverpool, everyone knows we’re so good, that’s why they are here. Pa says to hold on his hand tight, but I don’t want to, I’m eight years old, he said I was a big boy himself!  The line to get inside is very long, we have been standing ages now, and we are still in the same spot. I think they opened a door because people are moving! There are a lot of people I see, tons and tons of them. Pa grabs my hand and turns to look back and says a word that Ma told me to never say. He will be in so much trouble when I tell her! The line is long and its starting to get squishy, and I hear the whistle from the referee match blow. I’m missing the game! We are just standing here next to the fence and I can’t see a thing! To make it worse, all these people are stepping on me and shoving me. It is really not nice, and it’s getting hot also!

Something is not right, I can tell. Pa keeps saying bad words and he is carrying me now but we are so squished! There are a lot of people screaming and it is really loud! I want to cry but then he will see that I’m a baby and not take me to games anymore! I’m kind of scared because I am so squished. The screams are loud, really loud. I can’t even hear what Pa is telling me, but I just hold him closer.  I see people coughing and crying, some are breathing heavy. There's people with their mouths open but not saying anything. Some people are not moving at all.

“Get the lad out! Help the lad out!”

People are turning grabbing at me and I feel something pulling me away and I’m on top of Pa now. I reach for his hand but he is pushing me away, screaming at me. I can feel the tears now, I’m trying not to cry but I can’t stop.

“Daniel go! Go out on the grass Daniel! Get out! Go!”

A stranger has my hand, it’s a lady and she’s pushing me on top of people, and now I am most scared. We are on top of people, but something is pulling me down! I can’t see the lady anymore, and I can’t see Pa either. I’m at the fence and can see the pitch, the game has stopped, but I can’t see for long. Pa told me to get to the grass, but this fence is here I can’t get it to it. It hurts!  People are pushing me, they keep on pushing me towards the fence and I can’t move anymore. I can’t breathe either, it’s really hard to. I need air! I can’t move and it hurts so much, I want to stop. I think I’m drowning, but I can’t be, there is no water. What is happening? Where’s Mum? Where’s Pa? I have to get to the grass, maybe Pa is there and that’s why he told me to go there. My head and belly hurts, was it because I didn’t eat my eggs this morning? It hurts so much, I can’t see anything, the black spots are on my eyes. Why is everything black...

There is an angel in front of me. I know it’s an angel because he has big white wings on his back. He tells me I’m safe now, to not worry. He sticks out his hand and tells me to go with him, that we have to go see our Father. I ask where my Pa is at and the angel says he is with my Mum , but I can’t go with them right now, because I will live with Father now. I’m sad but I am also happy. I can breathe and nothing hurts anymore so I take the angels hand and we have a race to get to the gates…

I love this place! I can see everything from up here, I can see my house from here, and even Johnny here. I miss my Mum and Pa, but Father says that they will be here soon, that I have to wait just a little longer.  I hope they hurry, I’m sure they will have as much fun as I do here also! I hope Johnny comes too, because I have something to tell him! The other day, I heard my name being called out at Anfield! I promise you it was, they said my name and everyone clapped and chanted my name!

“For the 96 Justice!”

It has been a long time since I came up here, and people still remember me! People are still chanting my name, and clapping when they hear me. They have this nice thing at Anfield where they have my name on a wall, and people leave me flowers! Well it’s me and 95 other people. Turns out that they all came up here also, and it’s a lot of fun! We all sit here and watch the games when the Reds play, and sometimes Father lets us help them a little bit! I love it here…

~.~

Hello.

It’s the hardest time of the year for any Liverpool fan, April 15th. Personally I wasn’t born yet, and I don’t know anybody who was lost or who lost someone that day, but I still feel the pain. The Liverpool family lost 96 members that day, 96 who will never sit in the stands again. 96 Reds that will never get to scream another goal, who will never be able to celebrate a win, who will never get to pass down their love for Liverpool. For all those beautiful 96 Reds that aren’t with us, please know that you will never be forgotten. Today our saying has the most beautiful and purest meaning, today more than any other day will our saying be ever true; you will never walk alone. Just like we will remember you, we know that you watch over us, over the men, the club we love so much, we know that you will never let us walk alone. Rest in peace.

For the 96, Justice<3