The Watching

POV of murderer

It was ten pm on Williams street and the dark unforgiving shadow of the trees were claw-like on the road. There was only one house with their light left on. The neighborhood was asleep. He knew who was in that house. He always knew. He knew that Sophie Collins was an only child, he knew that she had a single mother. He knew that at this very moment she was downstairs reading home alone. And how did he know? He’d been watching.

A few days ago he had personally picked out this household and watched, and waited. He was in her shed rubbing his hands together in anticipation of what was to come. Oh how he loved to watch his victim curl into a ball in agony and terror. Even the thought made him smirk. Oh the pleasures of seeing blood trickle down their face and mixing with their tears.  He never felt guilty about the random loss of life, to him, it was all a game.

The clock in the shed ticked to 10:15pm, it was time to begin. He had planned this extensively for days and he knew he had to be quick for her mother would be home in a few hours. He hastily grabbed a hammer from the shed and ran to the bathroom window. He heaved the hammer up and brought it down on the window shards of glass flying everywhere. Searing pain flew up his arm and he doubled over cursing to himself. Not now! He looked at his arm and found an angry red gash from his elbow to his shoulder with blood everywhere.

He pushed through the pain and climbed through the window, into the bathroom. He found a small medical kit and pulled out a bandage, quickly wrapping his wound. Armed with his hammer he soundlessly glided through the house he knew so well.  He assumed that she had heard him bashing in the window when he heard footsteps running up the stairs. He turned the corner and saw the living room backing on to the stairs.

“Come out little girl” he whispered into the nothingness of the air. He heard a whimper coming from upstairs and knew where he had to go. He climbed up the stairs; very slowly so that she heard the stairs creak.  Once he was at the top he tightened his grip on his hammer and crept around the corner. He saw a shadow and blindly brought the hammer up. And down , down came his hammer and he heard the crack of her skull and knew the deed was done. She slumped over and he saw her face for the first time up close.

“Such a pretty waste” he murmured to himself as he started to back down the stairs. Once he was down the stairs suddenly the light switched on. Oh no, he knew her mum came home early sometimes.  He mentally slapped himself for being so stupid as he crept into the shadows and heard the click clack of heels walking through the door. Any second now her mum would go upstairs and find her daughter in a pool of blood. He had to get out. Fast. He got the adrenaline pumping as he ran into the bathroom. He stood on the towel rack and hoisted himself up and out of the window, this time with no scratches. Once he was out he ran with a smirk on his face and dived into a bush as he heard and ear piercing scream. She had found her daughter.

POV of the mother

She came home early that night, wanting to spend time with her Sophie. She had been working late for the last couple of days and had been getting really tired. Ever since her husband died she had been lost. Sophie was all she had and she was grateful for the fact that she had Sophie at all. She was so exhausted she thought as she got out of her car and shut the door, she put the key in the lock and couldn’t wait to put her p.j.’s on and relax with Sophie. Once she got in the house she thought she heard something come down the stairs- it was probably Sophie. She went through the living room and up the stairs, the shadows taunting her. When she turned the corner the air was knocked out of her lungs while she surveyed the scene. Sophie was lying on the ground in a pool of blood. She wasn’t breathing. A bloodcurdling scream filled the room and when she looked around to find the source she realized it was herself. She fell to her knees instantly sobbing and picked up Sophie’s limp head and rocked back and forward murmuring to herself.