1

Running that's all I knew now. As my old, battered, blood covered clothes hang loosely on my small delicate frame. The year is, 2020, well that's just a pure estimate. You see this all broke out in the early 2000s, so none of us can be sure. It all happened so quickly, one minuet you were living your normal life, content and safe. Then in the click of a wrist, it's all dragged away. You watch. You see your friends die, your family. You watch your home be demolished, and still we don't know how this all started.

But enough talk. I need to get away from them, so many. I've never seen so many of them at once. There decaying bodies, once the souls of a mother, a sister, a brother, a child! Until their souls were turned to pure black, the stench of death filled my nose. Then it hit me that everyone I once knew is just like this. A monster! A monster wearing a mask of someone you love. They reach for me, but I react quickly and make a strike, sweeping the head clean off. Kicking, hitting, but it didn't die down at all. It was like there was a never-ending line of them all waiting to get a mouth of my flesh.

Then I saw a path just over a fence, swiftly I doge the dead yet still alive bodies and tackle them out of my way towards my way out. I jump up as high onto the fence as possible as reach for the top, catapulting myself over the safe land. Then it started all over again. Running, running, running. Quickly, faster and faster still. I don't dare look back in fear there still after me. And for a moment I'm taken back to the old times, the times when you would run about like wild children in the company of so many friends.

A loud bang echoed through my ears, they must of pushed down the fence, I continue running hoping they won't catch up with me. I started to slow down, a good distance from the path I was on. Then. I felt it. I was hoisted back, as I felt a sharp impact on my back as I fall down, tumbling round and round like a ball, until I finally crash into an unknown object. I reach out to it, to try and drag myself up to continue my never-ending cycle of survival. But it wasn't anything like a wall, or a rock. It was living.

In panic I went to scream only to have my mouth covered by a hand. But I could feel the pulsating blood under the flesh, it felt warm and. Alive. I quickly turn around. Even though this person is breathing, it doesn't mean they're on my side. I have to be cautious. I look up and see blue sky eyes full of pain and sorrow. But yet, they had a spark, a fire within them burning to be alive. I didn't realise id been staring until was pulled from my trance, when he shouted at me 'Get in the bloody truck gal', possessing a southern ring to his voice. Then I realised what I was doing and flung myself into the car. Blood running through my head, I could feel my heart beating. This person, this man saved my life.

Then a slowly relaxed into the seating of the truck, old worn down seats possessing most of the space. I then decide to use this time to take in the man's features, his shaggy brown hair styled in no form at all yet still looked ordered. His strong jaw line, unshaven. I then look back to his captivating eyes that hold sights unknown. Then unaware of what I was doing I asked 'What's your name?' His strong hands take an even tighter grip than before on the wheel as he tenses up. We sat in silence until I once again allowed the words to flow from my mouth 'I'm Harley', I dint think he was going to reply. But then he loosened his grip on the wheel, softened his features and said in a strong yet caring voice 'Daryl, Daryl Dixon'. The thing is, should I trust him ?