Prologue

TORRENCE

In extreme cases, a person can go blind from staring at the sun for too long. It's something you hear about as a kid, but as you grow older, you stop thinking about it. Torrence Evans never stopped thinking about it, though.

He remembers stumbling into the house, clutching his eyes and panic flooding his body. He remembers calling for his dad, screaming for someone, for anyone, to help. A pair of hands clutch his shoulders and Torrence is wailing, crying, because the world is black. It's gone. And since that day, it never came back.

SKYA

Losing freedom is devastating, beyond imagination. He can recall the days where he had liberation, the days he took for granted. The days where he could feel the wind through his hair and the grass beneath his feet. The days where he was more alive than dead, and more human than beast.

Those days were never coming back.

NICO

Just when he thought maybe things were getting better, when he thought his wounds were healing, everything came tumbling down around him. It was like an earthquake hit, shattering everything he had built — all the bonds, all the trust, all the love. It all had come tumbling down. And it's up to him to pick up the pieces.