Prologue (flashback)

"Yes, I know I'm special. More special than you know." She said, smiling questionably. "Penelope." I pleaded, grasping her hand. "Please. Don't keep secrets from me anymore." I whispered as I gazed into her eyes. "I have to." She said in a voice so stern it sent chills down my spine. "What I don't tell you is what's protecting you from...everything." We stared into each others eyes, neither daring to say a word. Suddenly, there was a loud thump against the door. "I have to go." She said, turning to leave, but I held her hands tighter. "You can't!" I exclaimed, bringing her back close to me. "I can," She said firmly, untangling my fingers from hers, "and I will." Then she opened the door, and I could see the chaos that had enveloped us. Buildings lay in piles on the ground, and screams could be heard from every direction. Penelope quickly closed the door as she heard the stomping of a Domain Warrior coming closer. She knelt down beside me and held my face in her hands. "Listen. Don't tell them your name, don't tell them where you're from, and don't-" Another explosion could be heard from outside, and she winced. "Don't tell them you know me." She leaned in and gave me one last kiss. "Do you understand?" She whispered, searching my eyes for an answer. I nodded silently. "Good. Now stay in here for as long as you can, and if they come in, HIDE. Hide as if your life depends on it because...well, if you don't play this out right, your life might be at stake. As long as they don't know you're connected to me, you'll have a shot at living." I nodded again and she ran for the door. She pressed her back up against it and mouthed "I love you" before slipping slyly out into the madness outside. I leaned up against a wall. I'd never felt more afraid then I did right then. Suddenly, I heard Domain Warriors stomping outside and inched slowly toward the corner of the room. "It's Vague!" One exclaimed. "Let me go, you fools! You don't know what you're doing!" I heard Penelope shout. Her protests continued until I heard the sound of a gun shot, and she was silenced. The Warriors began pounding on the door and I was so afraid I didn't have time to think about what they'd just done to Penelope. I grabbed the blankets that had been in a wad on the floor and covered myself in them. I could only pray that I wouldn't be found. A few hits later, the metal door fell to the floor with a loud crash. The Warriors began tearing the place apart, throwing things about. One jabbed the pile of blankets I was in with the butt of his gun. I felt the hard impact on my shoulder and bit down on my tongue hard to keep from crying out in pain. I heard the crackling of one of the Warrior's speakers. "Sector 3X Warriors, please report to station immediately. Leave everything behind, retreat!" A voice said over the speaker. The Warriors hurried out of the room just as the lights began to flicker. I peeked out of my blankets when I thought it was safe, just in time to see the last warrior scurry out the empty doorway. Suddenly, the lights began to pop and sparks of electricity rained down to the floor. I stayed under my blankets for shelter and wondered what I was supposed to do. Penelope hadn't warned me about exploding light bulbs. I closed my eyes and shook with fear, hoping and praying that I'd make it out alive.