Of introductions and inquiries

Hal didn't want to do this. A prison was no place for a lady, however, when funding and laws were concerned he had no other choice but to obey them. Something that wasn't going to go down well with the other guards. He was right.

"You've got to be kidding me Hal" were the first words spoken by Paul when informed of the latest news. It didn't surprise him in the slightest.

"Look I don't want any arguments over this, it wasn't my decision. We have enough on our plate as it is with the new inmate coming, so we just have to accept it and move on." Hal replied, earning a sigh from Edgecomb.

"Please, Paul" was all the warden had left to say on the matter. Now it was Paul's job to tell the others.

"Alright everyone, I need you all here now" Paul called out just as the other guards made their way towards him. The two inmates also took an interest in what Paul had to say, poking their heads out from the bars on the cell doors to find out what was going on.

"I have been told by the warden that we have a new co-worker joining us today," Paul announced to the three men in front of him, who nodded soon afterward.

"When is he supposed to be here?" Brutus asked. Paul did his best to hide a wince at the word he.

"Around ten o clock."

"Should be here soon then" Brutus replied, looking at his watch as he spoke.

During the time Paul took to announce the news to the other guards, was the same amount of time it took for the new co-worker to arrive in front of the E block where Hal was waiting.

" Welcome to the E block, I'm Hal Moores the warden and you must be Collette our new co-worker" Hal introduced, smiling as he leaned over to shake her hand.

"Indeed I am."

"You ready to meet the boys?" the warden asked, smiling at the new co-worker's confident nod.

Back inside the E-block, the men's discussion over the new co-worker continued.

"How old is this fella?" Dean asked, again Paul had to try his best to cover up anything that gave off the impression that there was something to hide.

"In his early twenties," Paul replied, unsure of how much longer he was able to keep this secret to himself. Besides, as soon as the new co-worker walked through that door they would all see it for themselves, it was better for them to find out now rather than later.

The very moment Paul was about to confess the unknown detail was when the door opened, revealing their new co-worker who didn't hesitate to question their silence.

"Not what you were expecting boys?" The woman who the men assumed was their new colleague said with a small smile forming on her lips. Hal chuckled at her statement.

"Fellas, this is Collette Maiden your new co-worker" Hal introduced, Collette smiled at the four men in front of her.

Collette was of average height for a woman, possibly only a few inches smaller than Dean. Her light blonde hair was tied up in a tight bun that was neatly displayed from under her hat. She also had brown eyes resembling milk chocolate which was quite unusual for someone with blonde hair. Figure wise she was slim, with sculpted cheekbones and a clear complexion which complemented the slight blush to her cheeks.

"Well, I can see you all gonna get on just fine," Hal said before leaving her alone with the four gentlemen she was yet to be introduced to.

For a whole minute, no words were spoken as the men took their time to absorb the fact that their new co-worker was, in fact, a woman. A couple of them turned to face Paul as if to silently say, did you know this co-worker would be a lady?