Shredders

For years I lived in constant fear of this day. I knew that it would happen, that this day would come. I knew that the Gilead would find out, that I would be hunted and caught. But it was worth it. The risk was all worth it. Just hours ago, I was free and walking home after an appointment. Now, I lay naked on the concrete floor. No windows, only a stainless steel toilet and sink occupy this dark cell. I have spent a long time preparing as I knew this day would come.

The only light comes through a small window in the four inch thick metal door. Early in the morning the questioning will begin. I know what the questions will be, but I have a plan, they'll not get the answers they seek. I made a promise and now the babies are safe, they can't be harmed now. They will survive and live, we've made sure of that. Soon things will be different, the movement has already started. It's gained traction and strength.

Listening, I hear footsteps approaching the door. Slowly, I stand and make my way to the door. Just before I get there a bright light is shown in, blinding me.

"Watch check, you okay?" Said the angel outside the door.

"It's cold on the floor, could I have a sheet or blanket?" I replied as I shield the light with my hand.

"Sorry, no." the answer comes as he continues down the hall. I had hoped, but did not expect to be given that request. Hanging would be less messy but, It would be another hour before I would be checked on again. Plenty of time to get the job done.

The Gilead thought they were bringing the people closer to God. They thought that this was Gods way of government. I laughed at the irony, at the suffering and pain. Many sinful behaviors and evil was done by those who professed to know Gods ways throughout history. This was no different. At least the babies were safe and moved to a new location before they could be disposed of. They might not be perfect, but they have a purpose and that purpose will be seen.  The next generation is our hope.

I need to make sure their location will not be found. Stepping onto the sink of the cell, I know the way. My time and duty is done. With a final thought of those I sought.

"It was all worth it." I say aloud. I tilt my head and fall. I can feel pain as my neck breaks, and my head smashes into the cold concrete. Blood flows freely as all fades to black.