Chapter 1

After making myself some coffee, I happily got into my car caffeined up and ready for work. Today is going to be a good day, I told myself, I need it to be a good day. Plus, it's Friday! The last few weeks had been rough with my most recent and short-lived tinder relationship fizzling out. She was so pretty, she had long blonde hair that felt soft between my fingers. So different than my own dark, curly mess. We only went out a few times and she was a fantastic kisser, but some things just don't work out.

I looked in my rearview mirror and remembered to swap my glasses out for my prescription sunglasses. I pulled out of my apartment's parking garage and started the long drive. Living in Los Angeles has been a dream come true, and although it's hella expensive and driving everywhere is a nightmare, this was where my life was now. I've lived out here for over a year now and I was lucky enough to snag a job working at Lush Cosmetics in one of the fancy malls, so I got to spend my days being extra friendly and smelling amazing. I love it, and it leaves me time to run my Youtube channel called Watch Me Do Things. I travel around the city, do random things, take on dares, etc. My most viewed one to date is, Watch Me Scare People. That one was fun to make, but I had to end it early because people kept accidentally hitting or nearly punching me.

Today's video is a challenge by one of my followers to say as many compliments to others as possible, while remaining sincere. I love when I get the sweet ones. Sometimes the dares can be pretty gross or creepy.

"Wow! Leilani, you're early?" Bridget said when I walked into work.

"Yeah I had coffee this morning, also you look great today, new shirt?" Bridget looked down at her top, "Yeah it is, thanks for noticing." I smiled at her, I do think this will be a good day. I made eye contact with the store manager, Adrien, and looked away quickly. I didn't think I could handle talking to him today after I ignored his third text in a row asking me to come over to his place again.

"So what video are you making today? I see you have your camera bag with you." Bridget asked me while I put my stuff in my locker. Bridget had a great spirit and was my only real work friend, we often went to lunch together. She had an adorable blonde bob and always wore really quirky earrings. She would take some of her breaks with me and help me film some of my videos. She was also the only one who knew about my weird relationship with Adrien.

Twenty thousand compliments, selling soap with my best smile, gossiping in the back room, lunch at the food court, and another long drive, later, I waltzed into my studio apartment. I'm quite proud of my decorating skills. I have a bit of an obsession with pairing bronze items to the color orange so if you had to pick a theme, I'd say an orange in armour on the way to a battlefield.

My wall where I film myself for the youtube channel is always clean and has different things nailed up, one being a metal script that says love. Another one of the decorations consists of 6 smaller photographs of my friends that I hung onto a wire with clothespins. My kitchenette has three different piles of dirty dishes and my microwave was on top of my refrigerator because it was the only way to have more counter space. There were a dozen or so plants on the windowsill, and too many poetry magnets on the side of the fridge. 

I made myself comfortable at my desk after a quick bowl of cereal and began to film the intro to my newest video Watch Me Compliment People. I then spliced together all the videos I took throughout my breaks today where I went through the mall handing out compliments like little finger sandwiches. Wait, not sandwiches, compliment sandwiches are bad. Like free samples at Costco.

Once I finished the final edits to the video, I uploaded it, and laid face first onto my bed. Being nice is really hard and takes true thought, but that video really did teach me the importance of spreading kindness. I heard the soft meow of my cat Biscuit and patted the bed for her to join me. I got Biscuit a few months ago after I had been settled in the apartment, she was a big fluffy tan cat who lived for sunshine through the windows and scratches behind her ears. While I pet her lazily, I felt my phone vibrate in my back pocket.

I had a text from my friend Mallory that said: You up for drinks? Mallory is my friend from college whom moved out to LA a year before me and works as an extra on various television shows. Mallory and I met in a general education math class in college and bonded quickly over being the only two women of color in the whole class. Her being Latina and me being half Korean. 

She and her boyfriend, Matt, live pretty close to me now, and she spends her little spare time painting and working at various Paint & Sips in the area. Her latest one was a beautiful poppy field, the California flower. Mine was hanging up in my bathroom, although I messed up the flowers size ratio, so to be honest, it looks kind of scary.

Always! I responded to her text quickly, hopping out of bed and accidently startling Biscuit. I apologized to her with a can of wet food then dug into my closet for something to wear. I put some product in my hair to manage my large curls and gave my thick eyebrows some grooming. I put in my contacts and put some fun gold eyeshadow to give my brown eyes some pop. I pulled out one of my favorite little black dresses and paired it with a fun gold necklace and gold accent sandals. Mallory will roll her eyes at me because I always wear this outfit, but oh well. One last pose in the mirror and I'm ready.