CHAPTER ONE ~ Academic Accident ~

Kai rushes through the hallways of the building looking left and right as he passes each door to find the room he is to go to.

Despite that it has already been two weeks into the school semester, for Kai, it is only his first day of class. The reason for this a simple one: he had spent the last two weeks competing in a nationwide beyblade competition. It was well worth it to him, of course; he had added yet another trophy to his collection. The downside was that this had greatly angered his grandfather who had wanted him to succeed him as the head of Hiwatari Enterprises. Having reached the age where he would need to get serious and focus on his studies and career if he is to succeed, his grandfather had been putting great pressure on him, much to his dismay. As a compromise between the two, since Voltaire would have no heir if he were to disinherit Kai as he had done Kai's father, he had agreed to allow Kai to continue beyblading if Kai agrees to attend a well reputed university overseas in America and take his studies seriously. To that end, Kai agreed. As much as Kai loves beyblading, he also cares to have a career.

Kai continues to look for the room to his economics class. 'Room 210....211...212...213...214...There it is!'

Kai catches his breath at the door. He peaks inside for a moment and sees that only a little over ten or fifteen people seem to be there. Believing that the group inside can't be the entire class and that this meant he can't be far too late past the time he was supposed to have gotten there, he sighs and enters, taking a seat somewhere in the back corner of the room where only one other student is present.

Of course, he took that spot in the room so he wouldn't have to socialize with anyone or get called on by the professor. However, he soon notices that something was not right about his economics class. Not that he bothered to bring a notebook or even paper to take notes but the "notes" on the chalkboard just seem to be...nonsense.

'What...in the...' Kai looks at what the professor is writing with a very confused face. He then listens to the professor's thickly accented speech and tries to make out what he is saying. So far, he had not even bothered to memorize the professor's name; it was long, in a language he doesn't speak, and he had really only seen it once when he signed up for classes during the university's orientation for freshmen students. Even then, he hadn't really looked at the details of his classes; he just typed in the course codes for the classes he needed.

"So the rotation operators act on a ket and do this!" the professor enthusiastically points to some result he wrote down on the board.

Kai reads the equation:

Ȓ(π/2)j|+z⟩=|+x

"What." He mouths to himself as he glances at everything else messily scribbled on the chalkboard.

'Did I walk into the wrong classroom?' he asks himself in his mind. He then pulls out the small sheet of paper on which the room number had been scribbled down earlier.

Room 214

He was certain he had entered the correct room. 'Was the room number wrong?'

He had really only arrived on campus today and hadn't really had a chance to look at his schedule more closely. The room numbers of the rooms he needed to go to and the times he were to show up at those locations were told to him by his driver who had brought everything to his dorm room for him. 'Maybe that guy messed up...?'

He looks to the chalkboard again and listens to the professor again. All he keeps hearing are the words, "operators", "eigenstates", "eigenkets", "bras", "kets", "i" and "ℏ".