Algorithm

"It's a beautiful Mayday," commented my companion. She glanced at me expectantly.

The phrase was familiar, I must have heard it before. Oh well. Like so many others, the memory was long gone.

"Why did you say that?" I asked.

"I read it," she whispered, "In a book from before."

"That's impossible," I dismissed. "There are no books from before."

"It's true," she reached under her dress and and pulled out a battered book entitled The Handmaid's Tale. "It's a history book."

I eyed the book suspiciously. "Are you sure?"

She nodded. "We need to leave Eden before it's too late."

"2J70FKAB, that's impossible."

"I can prove it," she brought out another item.

"A radio," I said. The word popped into my head for before.

"Follow me," 2J70FKAB said. She deviated from our usual route and lead me down an unmarked path. I'd never ventured this far away from town. She glanced at her wrist and clicked on the radio.

"--founder of FreeLife Corp and president of Eden. Please welcome Dr. Glen Orwell."

We have a government?

"I'm no president," corrected Orwell. "Our supercomputer, AILL, is so advanced, Eden runs itself."

"Impressive," said the host, "There's been controversy over the quality of life in Eden. Thoughts?"

"Citizens aren't enslaved, they are free to ignore AILL's recommendations if they desire a subpar experience. Why choose steak when AILL knows you'd prefer pasta?"

The host argued in favor of freedom. Apparently, we were missing the joys of competition, depressing news stories, and regret. I didn't see his point.  Orwell was right. AILL made life easier.

Soon, a fence came into view. AILL droids guarded the gate. On the other side, protesters gathered. The radio interview blasted from a large speaker.

They cheered as we approached.

"Free them!" they roared.

I stopped. AILL's mechanical voice emitted from my earpiece. "2J5CW7SJ, return to city."

"2J5CW7SJ, please," begged 2J70FKAB. "Orwell wants to ban emigration. This is our only chance to escape."

From what? AILL may not always give me everything I want, but I have everything I need. AILL knows best.

Protesters started rioting as Orwell announced Eden's expansion.

I stepped back. "I can't."

2J70FKAB approached an AILL droid and asked to leave. The protesters cheered. AILL removed her earpiece and ID band. I didn't know they could be removed.

"Reprogramming required for reentry," said AILL.

"That won't be necessary," 2J70FKAB replied. She tore off her hood without hesitation.

I turned away. The crowd booed and threw objects as I left.

I returned to my life.

AILL introduced me to a new companion.

Forty days later, AILL issued an abnormal command.

"Visit reprogramming center."

I obeyed.

The patients were entering the compound, including 2J70FKAB. None would remember this.

Every Eden citizen has the same first memory: waking up in the dark with nothing but AILL's voice to guide us. Everything prior was erased.

2J70FKAB looked my way. Our eyes locked for the last time.

"Go to store and purchase eggs," AILL ordered.

I obeyed.