Nimbostratus

This was a bad idea.

Worse, this was her idea.

Bianca Lemercier stared out into the horizon, the massive walls that protected the kingdom's harbor coming into sight. Beyond that lay mountainous terrain that, once entered- presuming she'd live long enough to do so- revealed paths that led directly into the capital.

She clutched at the letter in her hands, the parchment long weary from constant crumpling. She could no longer count the amount times she had read and reread its words. Nor the amount of lies she had spoken just to get here.

She turned to her immediate surroundings. The ship was massive, is what she thought upon boarding. The deck itself was as large as the fields back at home. The hull and stern was bulky and the men onboard equally sturdy.

This is a bad idea

She pushed away her thoughts, forcing herself to focus on the task at hand. Getting to the capital wasn't going to be easy. She still had several travel days to go before she'd reach the Castra. Not only that, she had the security to worry about.

"Sure is quite the sight, ain't it?" The words weren't directed to her, but meant for the man beside her. Bianca turned to see two gruff sailors smoking tail pipes, casually puffing every now and then. She wanted to leave because of the smoke, but their conversation held her attention.

"Aye," the one beside her, the bigger man she noted, huffed. "Still ain't the same with the queen gone. Only fancy on the outside I tell ya'. It hideous in it."

"Ya thinking the Sun King gonna come out of that castle of his? I mean, besides for parades an' all that."

"Ya thinkin the Sun King's gonna stop with all his secret killin'?" The big man grouched. He pointedly waved his pipe in the other man's face. "Nah. I say he gon' an' be just as nifty as all those in high court do. Ain't our business."

"Still kinda wished that the queen were back, eh?"

"Wishful thinkin's what's gonna get ya killed."

The smaller sailor became silent, signaling the end of their conversation. Again, Biance felt the need to reread the letter she was holding. She felt the parchment burning away at her palms as she hid it within the folds of her skirt.

Her apprehension could be sensed and the two sailors glanced her way.

"What ya' lookin at missy?" The grouch huffed.

Bianca shook her head. "Sorry."

She back stepped slowly, then spun around towards the other direction. Briskly, she walked towards the hatch and opened it, going quickly below deck.

Under the sweltering heat below, Bianca forced herself to calm down. Her back was damp with sweat and the heat was inducing vertigo. Still, she steeled her nerves and maneuvered her way through all the crates of shipment and haphazard luggages.

At last she found her pallet, uncomfortable as it was. She sat down on top of it, tucking her legs beneath her, and brought out the letter.

She stared again, caressing the waxed emblem on envelope.

This is a really bad idea.

Bianca immediately ripped it open.

--

Castra La Solis
Season of Spring, Year XXX

My dear,

You must be surprised hearing from me given, I did promise not to meddle in your affairs. However, a matter of utmost importance has prompted me to write to you, despite the wishes of His Majesty.

I know it is quite insensitive of me, especially since you are in recuperation, but I pray that you will take my words to heart.

The Royal Court is, as always, in utter disarray, with Lord Crowley and Lord Benford the main constituents of said havoc. His Majesty is doing an excellent job at keeping them from further embarrassing themselves and the country, though I fear that he himself might give in to the mayhem soon.

Normally I wouldn't bother with such petty schisms but an event that transpired three days ago kept me on edge.

Lord Crowley, god bless that blundering fool, spoke with such vulgarity in the presence of the court that I had half a mind to send him down with at the time.

However, his words removed any sort of amusement from me. He questioned the King about his heirs.

Yes, my dear, that blasted Crowley shamelessly provoked His Majesty and asked if he had no interest in the saving the country. Apparently, with His Highness flaunting his status as a bachelor and procuring no established bloodline to the throne, his tenants question his interest in maintaining the hierarchy that the Kingdom has upheld for so long. If that were the case, might as well appoint the next house to take over, saying that what His Majesty has done is more than enough for the country.

In short, they shamelessly stated that the country no longer needed the King.

I was scandalized of course, but His Majesty paid no mind to it.

Even so, this is a troubling matter, one that needs your immediate attention. I am well aware of the agreement between you and His Grace, but I pray that you might be able to change your mind.

I cannot guarantee your safety, the Palace has been filled with snakes since your leaving and the King has remained cold and unmoving. I can no longer call his mind.

His Majesty no longer listens to me and cannot seem to see reason. With his right hand gone, the people only see a cold king with no interest in them. Crowley uses this to his advantage and has the majority under his thumb. It will only be a matter of time before the people's worry turns into rage and the events of 13 years ago will transpire again.

I ask then, beloved Nike, that you yourself come back for His Majesty. I am aware  that I am asking for plenty, and that the King may have my head if he would ever chance upon this letter, but for all that is good I ask for your presence. I pray you come back home.

Your children, his children, need not come. I prefer them safe with your family. Although, if you do agree to come, please never say a word to any of them. They must not know. They must always be safe. The fate of the Kingdom rests with them and with you.

Please do take my words to heart.

With Love,
Bardwin Cecil Ifrikia
Prime Minister, Sun Kingdom.