Prologue

I wasn't always like this.
I didn't always have a purpose. I didn't always have a life. I didn't always have a reason for me to open my eyes in the morning. But now I do.
Let me introduce myself, I'm Jade and I'm a daughter of Death. You probably don't know what that means, most people don't,  so let me tell you.

When I was five years old, I wanted to go to school, like any kid my age, but my parents wouldn't let me, so I stayed home and watched the bus leave every morning while I studied by myself. I didn't know why my parents refused to let me go, but I went along with it, thinking that  they would change their minds any day and I could join my friends, and my life would start, but they never did.

I started to think something was wrong when I was seven. I couldn't decide if it was with me, with my parents, or if I was just stuck in some magical curse that made me forever lonely, but it had to be something.
My parents went out in the morning, left me to my studies, and came back at night. They always seemed rather cautious and timid around me, I still wish I had gotten the chance to ask them why, or what they knew, but I didn't.

Everything changed when I was ten.

It was my birthday, but it wasn't very exciting. In fact, it was the same as any ordinary day. But it had started to make me upset, I don't know why I thought this birthday would be different, but for some reason, my heart burned with disappointment when it wasn't.

When my parents finally came home, I had already gone up to bed. I pretended to be asleep when they came up to kiss me goodnight, but I'm sure they knew I was faking.
I was still so mad and disappointed in them that I didn't even open my eyes when they left my bedside and went to bed.

I wish I had, I wish I had opened my eyes and forgiven them, I wish I had said that I loved them one last time, but I can't. Like for anyone, it is impossible to go back and change something you did, but I wish, with all of my heart, that I could. I sometimes wonder, if I had just opened my eyes, would they still be alive? But there's nothing I can do about it now, except to tell my story and pray that it never happens to anyone else.

That night, I dreamt a most vivid dream, I still remember every last detail.  It was beautiful, and awful.
I was standing tall and victorious in the middle of a adorable little town. I was wearing this gorgeous long dress of white silk that just flowed around me. I was standing surrounded by wildflowers, forget me-nots and buttercups, daisies and bluebells, and my dark hair sprayed around me like it had a mind of its own. I was beautiful.

Then I looked around and suddenly, the town that had looked so welcoming before, was in flames, the white dress that had made me feel like a queen,  was in tatters, stained with soot and what seemed to be blood, and the field of flowers, were no longer flowers, but we're the lifeless bodies of my family, my friends, and anyone I had ever even said a single word to.

I looked down at my hands and they were nearly pitch black, and dripping with a warm, thick, and sticky liquid. It spattered on the ground beneath my feet and I opened my mouth to scream an--- and that's when I woke up.
But it didn't seem like I had woken up, I thought I was in yet another nightmare, and I'll tell you why.
My room was on fire. Like six foot tall flames climbing the walls. I jumped out of my bed, and quickly climbed out the window, on to the roof, before scaling the lattice work down to the ground. I got there just in time to see my house explode.
Well, it exploded in my ten year old mind. It was really just the fire hitting the gas tanks that my parents kept on the second floor for emergencies. But it sure seemed like an explosion.

It took me a few moments to process what had just happened, one moment I was asleep, and the next, the house I had lived in since I was a baby, was in flames and I was standing outside watching it happen.

The fire trucks soon showed up, but by then I already knew there was nothing to be done. My house was more or less one gigantic fireball, and I had figured out that my parents were long gone. I remember a tiny part of me feeling like I had won a vicious battle, and u was standing triumphantly as I watched my enemies disintegrate, and I remember shoving that feeling down and writing it off as residue from the nightmare, which wasn't true, and I have been fighting those feelings ever since.

So that's my story, well, the start of it anyway. There's still a long way to go, and, don't worry, it's not always this depressing, honestly. My life does get better, at least in a few years.

You still have to meet Lizzy! And Alex! And Joy, Luke, an-- And I'm getting ahead of myself. This is only the prologue! I have to stay focused, and tell you the rest of the story! And so, let's start on my sixteenth birthday---

And there's the prologue! What do you guys think? I came up with this idea last year, but I wasn't very good at writing so I had to wait. Anyway, I finally remembered it and now I have to finish it! It's very different from the Ever After High fanfiction I've been writing, and God it's a whole lot darker, but I think it's going to turn out pretty cool, don't you?

Thanks for reading by the way, I really appreciate it!