God and Man: a short story

The practice couldn't have gone better. What had the director said? "Your playing will light up the stage, Sophie." Oh, of course that's what he'd said, but it was so excellent!

The old theater on Michigan Avenue, which had fallen into disuse for a time, had a sort of fantastical element to it. The corridors, now being restored, held all the excitement of performances past. Her violin case hit her knee as she walked out, irritating her thigh, but it didn't matter.

Jonathan was waiting for her in the gold-trimmed vestibule. He was originally from Southern California, having come here only when his dying aunt needed help. He was educated: he held a BA in Liberal Arts from a well-reputed private school out there, and he was working on a PhD in Political Science at the University of Chicago. He was fun: his intellect only helped him enjoy life, and he was an amazing piano player in his spare time. His ability to perform without hyperfocusing on it helped her keep her own career in perspective. And he was handsome: his Italian/Hispanic heritage gave him a dark ruddy face with deep brown eyes and a tall, sturdy form.

She came over to him and hugged his wool overcoat. "Where are we going?"

"I got reservations at Schwarz's." For a second it seemed like his voice wavered, but they started walking out and she forgot about it.

The brisk temperature only awakened the excitement of Downtown Chicago in the early December twilight. Before dinner, they went to St. Anthony's for Vespers. The church was a monastery nestled between office towers. What a wonderful idea, to have a house of prayer in the heart of the city! She knelt before the Eucharist next to Jonathan and immersed herself in the unified voices of the monks chanting. She stole a glance at her companion and suppressed a smile. He was a good Catholic, too. She couldn't have found a better man. They would marry, have beautiful children, and radiate joy through their simple life together. Maybe she would even teach violin in her spare time, and the other moms would say to eachother, did you know Sophie went to Juilliard and played with multiple orchestras in the city? Oh, I can't remember their names, but they must have been good!

She turned back to the Eucharist. Lord, my happiness is complete. I wish for nothing more.

                                                                                        _

Schwarz's opened during the Columbian Exposition in 1893. Murals from that time adorned the old German restaurant. A beautiful place on a cold winter's night.

They sat at a booth and after they had ordered their food, she asked him how work had gone. For such a simple question, he seemed uneasy in answering it.

"Oh, it went... as I expected," he said. He picked at the label on the wine they shared.

When he didn't elaborate further, she decided to tell him all about the major developments at her job. "I got promoted to First Chair, and have three workshops to teach at high schools on the North Shore next week," she said.

"That's great, honey."

"Make sure you block off January 17th on your calendar," she said. "I'll be soloing with the Los Angeles Symphony Orchestra at the Lyric Opera."

Jonathan nodded mechanically. Pick pick, pick, he went on the wine bottle. It was getting annoying. Then he stirred and sat up.

Why was he so quiet and nervous? Sure, he wasn't that talkative, but when they were together he always had something to say. Then it hit her.

Oh my God, he's going to propose. All the blood rushed to her head and she began to shake with joy and anticipation.

But he wasn't saying anything. She just wanted it over with. "Jonathan, what's eating you?"