Prologue

Everyday the sun comes up and every night the sun goes away. Each day I feel lonely, and long for the company of Richard. He's been gone 2 months now, and I miss him like crazy.
I look out onto the horizon and see the little fishing boats strung out like bunting, every fisherman hoping he gets a good catch to take home to his family. I sigh, steaming up the glass panes. Any day now, Richard should arrive home. Home to his family and to the ones who care so greatly about him. I get up off the chair and decide to continue tidying up our room, ready for his return.
I begin emptying the clothes out of the drawers and putting them in a pile on the bed. I sort through each item, deciding whether to keep it or to throw it away. I then pick up the clothes I've decided to keep and go to put them into the drawer, when my hand touches something hard placed at the back. I pull it out and find it's a small, worn notebook. Inside, I recognise Richard's handwriting. To me, it looks like a list of different amounts of money, perhaps payments, but I can't be too sure. I'm baffled by the seemingly harmless notebook. Flicking through, I see page after page of cash amounts, most being in the thousands. My pulse raises and my palms feel sweaty. For some unknown reason, feel sick to the pit of my stomach, I don't have a good feeling about this. If it wasn't important, why would he hide it in the drawer?
I put it aside and continue to tidy up, but I can't shake off this feeling. When Richard gets home, I'm going to ask him about it. I just hope he hurries up and gets here...