Prologue

Prologue

Admiral Lee Adama was trying to bring order to the mayhem in CIC on board the William Adama. The sudden attack on the Raptor carrying Adama's CAG, Captain Nicholas Bond had stunned everyone to their very core. They all were trained to possibly use acts of violence to defend themselves and to have violence visited upon them.

But this wasn't expected.

"OK, everyone", the Admiral finally said about as loud as he could. "Everyone!" He waited as the room finally began to calm down. His people had blown off a little steam, which was good, now they had to get down to business.

"People", he looked around the entire room. "Let's get it together. I know this wasn't what we expected, but we're professionals, and we've got a job to do."

Everyone was snapping back into themselves after the sudden Krypter message that the CAG's bird was down. Now, they were letting their training kick back on.

"OK", Lee took a breath. "XO, I want SAR Operations to begin at once. Contact Captain Abdullah and have him form up his Raptors. For the moment, he's CAG."

"Aye, sir." Brevin Cross turned to his station to dial up Raekwan Abdullah, Call Sign Sandstorm. He was second-in-command next to Nick Bond, and now he was in charge.

"I want ten more squadrons of Marines down to the surface, full combat gear, as quickly as we can", he turned around. "Signals, advise General Grayson more troops will be on their way. Advise the transports I want a SAR drop to the General leaving for the planet within ninety minutes. By sundown, we need a full division on the surface."

The Marines on board were experts at Search And Rescue and had trained endlessly for that scenario since long before leaving Earth. The Raptors and Falcons may be able to do air sweeps, but if wanted to find his three people, be they dead or alive, ground units would have to be used.

Signals turned toward the Admiral. "Admiral, Admiral Thrace-Bond, and Governor and Mrs. Bond are leaving the King in five minutes. ETA about thirty minutes from now."

"Thank you, Ensign", and that reminded him of something. "XO, did Abby leave the Sagan yet?" One of the first things Lee had done was to inform Nick Bond's sister of what had happened. He wanted her on the Flagship at least for a while.

"Sir, yes, sir", the XO responded, "she's aboard already, Admiral. We have her in your quarters for the moment, if that's OK with you?"

"Thanks, Brevin, that'll be fine for now. Take Kara and her parents directly there when they arrive."

"Signals, let me talk to this half of The Fleet." In thirty seconds, he was broadcasting to all the ships in the Helios Alpha System.

"Attention crew of the Adama, and the rest of The Fleet. As you've heard, an unprovoked attack occurred a short time ago against UED units over Caprica. One of our Raptors, piloted by our Air Group Commander, Captain Nicholas Bond, was shot down. With him are Lieutenant Rick Londhal and Lieutenant Annabel Marisio. We do not know precisely where their Raptor; we do not know the condition of our people. Search and Rescue is already underway. Concerted ground operations to find our people will begin within several hours.

"Until that time, I ask you to keep Captain Bond, Lieutenant Londhal and Lieutenant Marisio in your thoughts and prayers. Adama out."

The SAR was being organized rapidly; General Grayson was mobilizing what ground forces he had, waiting for the arrival of reinforcements, and Captain Abdullah had his birds circling carefully over the Caprican Mountain Range.

Lee's next job was to go talk to Abby Bond-Creider.