One: Mother

The large clock by the church had chimed multiple times before I had even thought about opening my eyes. I was dreaming about mother. But every dream good or bad has to end at some point because one of the maids- Mary- came and woke me.
"Mary must you wake me every morning?" I grunted putting my pillow over my my head.
"Come on get up it's a lovely morning!" Said Mary opening the drapes.
"At least the sky isn't gray this morning." I commented removing the pillow from my face.
"Juliet dear? May I come in?" Asked my father knocking on my door.
"Are you decent?" He asked.
"Yes why wouldn't I be?" I answered.
"It's just that you and I have very different perspectives of the word decent." Said my father.
"Father it's just a nightgown." I mumbled.
"That is not decent. You are not a child anymore, Juliet." Scolded my father.
"Oh just come in!" I shouted.
"Fine. Only because I haven't much time." My father said as he opened the door. He took a few moments to survey the room.
"This room is a pigsty. How do you live in these conditions." My father said, scolding me. Again.
"Please get to what you were going to say." I said.
"Mary, could you please leave the room." Asked my father.
"Yes governor Mason." Said Mary as she closed the door behind her.
"Is something wrong?" I asked worriedly.
"No. Not at all." Said my father with a broad smile on his face.
"Let me guess. More suitors." I sighed.
"No not more. Just one. An old one." Answered my father.
"Well you can tell captain Riley!- if he's right outside the door I hope he can hear me- I said no when he asked for my hand the first time! And my mind is unchanging on the subject!" I yelled.
"He isn't asking for your hand, Juliet. He's leaving on that trip today. He will be stopping by the house later to collect you. He wants you to come with him." Said my father.
"Collect me? Father I'm not some object to barter. I shan't be going." I said angrily.
"It would be good for you to get farther than the towns square every once in a while."
"I don't want to go father." I answered irritated.
"Your mother would have wanted it." My father said.
That was a low blow using mother against me. And father knew it.
"I suppose she would." I said trying to hold back tears.
"It would be a great opportunity." Said my father.
"I will not be going." I said turning towards the window, a lump now rising in my throat.
"Juliet-" my father began to say.
"I said no!" I shouted.
My father left the room closing the door behind him. Still not turning away from the window, it was then that I let my flooded eyes release their tears. I missed mother so much.

One year ago:
"Father what's  going on?" I asked as he walked down the stairs. He said nothing nor did he even turn to look at me.
"Has mothers condition worsened?" I asked from the top of the stairwell. Still no answer, but this time he turned and looked at me with sad bloodshot eyes. I ran down the hall and burst through the doors and into my mothers bedroom. I stared at my mother. Her condition had indeed worsened. I walked over to her bed. I sat down next to my mother on the bed and grabbed her hand. My long nightgown rippling from the edge of the bed to the floor.
"Things are going to get better. Everything will look up from here. Father is having a doctor come back from the battlefields to take care of you. It's all going to be ok." I said. Mother didn't even open her eyes.
Then father came in.
"Juliet. What're you doing in here?" He asked.
"I just came to see mother." I answered.
"That won't be necessary. The doctor will be here soon and then she'll be as good as new. Why don't you spend the day out on the town. Some fresh air might be nice." He said.
"Yes father." I said.
Then he put his arm around my shoulder and began to push me towards the door. Before I left, I looked over my shoulder at mother.
"I love you." I said to her. And then father pushed me out of the room and closed the door.

I walked around the square. I saw people laughing. I saw people being happy. And I envied them. Before I left to study abroad last year me and mother would walk around the square laughing and having fun everyday. And we'd even occasionally bump into my friend Riley Smith. When I was abroad I got a letter from father saying mother had gotten sick. So I made the captain turn around and take me home. When I got home last week I learned that many things had changed. My friend Riley had been shipped off to fight in the war. My mother didn't just have a head cold. She had the plague. On the one week I had been home her condition quickly escalated from a mere threat to if the doctor didn't get here soon she would die. So you can imagine how hard it is to walk around my small little town and see everyone happy.

Later that night after supper. I put on my nightgown and went down to the kitchen.
"What are you doing?" Said my father covering his eyes.
"I'm going to bring mother a cup of tea before bed." I said determined to bring her tea without father stopping me. I grabbed the kettle of boiling water along with a tea cup and saucer. I put them all neatly on a silver tray and carried them upstairs. I opened her door and saw her not breathing. And I dropped the tray. The kettle, the cup, and the saucer had all smashed on the floor. I ran to mothers bedside and began to scream.
"No! No mother! Wake up! Please! I need you! Don't leave me!"
My screams were soon muffled by loud sobs. My father and many of the maids and butlers ran into the room. They all tried to pull me away.
"No! Don't touch me!" Nothing I said would make the stop.
"NO! LET GO! I HAVE TO STAY! I HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL SHE WAKES UP! PLEASE! NO! LET GO!" I was howling and screaming for the to let go.
"Sir what does she mean when she wakes up." Said one of the maids through tears.
"She's in shock." Answered my father.
Then they all lifted me up off my feet and carried me out of the room.
Just before they closed the door I managed to speak.
"I love you!" I screamed. And then father slammed the door shut.

Present day:
Now I was sobbing. Just thinking about mother was hard. I know it's been a year. But it still hurts.