Prologue

The sound of bamboo hitting the rock could be heard as the water pushed it downward. The water trickled into the small pond before letting the bamboo stick raise back up. The same motion continued to repeat itself in the, almost, tranquil garden.

The blond boy dodged another attack as his sister aimed for his head, making sure to counter with a kick. The sister grabbed his foot quickly, her same blonde hair moving briefly as she held him in place. One second went by before she flipped him over on the ground.

The brother went to get up and strike again, but a man's voice halted both children in their tracks. "That's enough for now," the man spoke. "Go see your mother for lunch. You two have improved greatly over this week."

The twin siblings bowed to him and spoke in unison, "Yes, father," before running up the wooden steps and opening a paper door to get into the house.

Once they were gone, their father walked down the same stairs and into the garden. He walked over to the small pond where the bamboo stick continued its task and homed a couple of koi fish. He knelt down on one of the cushions near it and closed his eyes with hands inside the opposing arm sleeves.

His meditation didn't last for long, as a figure came from the rooftops and landed down behind him. Their blonde bangs covered part of the red and white tiger mask they wore while a long braid went down their back, stopping at mid thigh. While he couldn't see her, he already knew who it was.

"Mei, wasn't your mission supposed to last at least two weeks?" he asked.

"It was, but..." She removed her mask, revealing facial features similar to the man's. Her eyes were almost exactly the same, the color and coldness were spot on while her eye shape seemed more gentle in appearance. "...with my speed, I was able to take care of my mission faster than predicted."

He stood up from his spot and turned around, motioning for Mei to stand up as well. "How was it in Kumogakure?" he asked as he started to walk.

Mei followed him. "It was interesting. Hunting down the missing ninja was difficult, but I found him in time and took care of him. Konohagakure's secrets are safe once again."

"That's good to hear." He smiled slightly, but not by much.

They both arrived at the door the two children had went through, but Mei stopped in her tracks. Her father also pausing in his.

"There is something that concerns me, though," Mei stated.

"And what is that?" His eyes looked at hers as he pinched one of the braids in his beard.

"There was an encounter... And encounter with someone who looks like they're related to us."

His brows furrowed together "Are you certain of this?"

Mei nodded her head. "It seems not all of our clan moved to Konoha before the construction of the hidden villages."

A sigh came from the older man. "This isn't–"

The door slammed open and the two children came running out, both tackling Mei with hugs.

"You're back!" the boy yelled.

"You should teach us some techniques!" the girl added on.

Mei rested a hand on each of their heads, the mask falling onto the girl's face accidentally. "Maybe sometime later this week. I have to go give my report to the Hokage."

While the boy seemed fine with her response, the girl grew moody. "You need to get back as soon as possible!"

"And why so?" Mei looked at her and then up at their father.

He gave his response quickly, "She's activated her waretagan. And considering you're a prodigy yourself, she wants you to teach her instead of me."

"Really now?" Mei looked down at her sister. "Ayaka, you've already obtained it?"

The little girl nodded and grabbed the mask still hanging on her head. "At only six! Just a year later than you did!"

A wowed expression was on Mei's face before she looked over at her little brother. "What about you, Haru? Anything yet?"

He shook his head. "No, but I'm still doing everything I can to activate it."

She smiled at both of them before rubbing their heads and getting them off of her. Mei went into the house, leaving her dad and siblings outside.

"You two go and practice. Or, if your chakra is depleted, go meditate."

The kids nodded and ran back to the garden.

"Ayaka, wait!" her dad yelled at her. Ayaka stopped in her spot, hands still on the mask on top of her head. "Give me Mei's mask."

She made an 'oh' face before going back up to her dad and handing him the item before running back off and joining her brother.

Their dad turned around and then entered the house, sliding the door shut behind him. In the room was Mei sitting down at the table with his wife, both talking quietly to each other over a meal of rice and fried fish.

"Ayaka wants to become an ANBU member as well," the mother spoke. "She really looks up to you."

Mei smiled before taking another bite of her meal. Once she swallowed the rice, she spoke, "I'm glad she already has a goal set. With her strength already, I can see her being a great assistance to the group."

"It will mean two of our children are in jeopardy of losing their lives." Mei's father walked over to them and sat down at the kotatsu. "If you two die, then Haru is left to carry on our family legacy."

"We're not weaklings, father," Mei said. "If anything is assigned to Ayaka that may be too tough, then I'll volunteer to be her teammate during that mission."

"Even if it means encountering that person from Kumo?" he asked.

"What happened in Kumo?" his wife asked. She looked from him to Mei, but then returned her gaze at her husband. "Kou, what happened?"

"I met someone who seems similar to us," Mei stated. "And they may have the Waretagan as well. Their justus were similar to the family ones."

The air filled with tension. The three adults were silent, both parents having thoughts running through their heads on this news.

"This is troubling..." Koukoumaru muttered and went over to the door, sliding it open enough to see the twins before looking back at Mei. "Thank you for bringing this information to my attention."

He looked back out at the two children, seeing Ayaka starting to mess with her brother. The two soon stopped kneeling down and chased each other around. "Let's hope those two will be able to go up against this threat."