the doorbell rings. russel is back.

"why, 'tis about time, isn't it?" murdoc chuckles. "his dinner ought to be cold by now."

"i'll go make sure the door's unlocked." noodle stands up from her chair, and she walks to the front door. 2D enters the kitchen as she leaves.

"and where were you?" murdoc asks 2D, who's pulling his chair out.

"i told you i was in the loo, do you ever listen to me?" 2D frowns, sitting down. murdoc swallows his food before answering.

"sometimes. other times i just tune you out." he's about to let out a soft laugh, when a scream emerges from the hall. 2D and murdoc exchange the same concerned glance, before standing up. they walk out in the hallway, and they see the door wide open. as they approach closer, they see noodle and russel on the ground.

noodle has her arms around a motionless russel, and she's crying. murdoc's eyes go wide, when he catches on to the situation. he hesitantly turns his head back to 2D, who's expression looks immensely sad.

murdoc gets on one knee. "noodle, honey.. is... is-"

"murdoc, he's not moving!! he's, he's not breathing and he's not making a sound or even twitching the slightest!!!" noodle cries out. murdoc looks up and down russel's body- no sign of blood wounds.

"look for blood wounds. try to find what did this. please, could you both?" murdoc requests, standing up.

"and where are you going, then?" 2D raises an eyebrow, wiping his eyes.

"to think."

murdoc walks away, approaching the stairs.

2D kneels down, and he glances noodle's way.

noodle sees his glance. a brief moment. he doesn't really look like himself, she thinks. but there's plenty of reason.. right?

murdoc sits on the bed in the vacant room. his legs are crossed, and he's lost in thought. he's tuned out the world, and is focusing solely on a few things.

what killed russel?
who killed russel?
what was their drive, why did they do it?

murdoc has come up with a few ideas, even as to their drive. he's twiddling his thumbs, when he hears a voice.

"muds? murdoc? where are you??"

2D is calling from the hallway.

murdoc stretches out his back, before he stands up. he doesn't know how long he's been sitting alone, but he doesn't care.

he walks out into the hall. as he passes the bathroom, the light flickers. it makes murdoc stop in his tracks.

he knows that the spirit house is wonky, but lights don't usually flicker unless they were on before. he takes a step back, and enters the bathroom. he flicks on the light, and what he sees in the bathtub almost makes him fall over from shock.

noodle.

severed limbs. covered in blood.

murdoc grabs the wall, his breaths picking up.

"oh, there you are murdoc!"

he hears 2D scurrying up the steps. he walks over to where he is.