Chapter 1

The box that I was in was dark. Pretty much pitch black. The only light that I had was a not-so-bright red light that was shining through the metal fence. I could feel that whatever box I was in was rising. It was almost like an elevator. However, in this elevator there was only me, a few animals, and some wooden boxes which I'm guessing contained weapons or supplies. The stench of the animals was almost overwhelming. Whoever put me here couldn't have sprayed some air freshener or something to get rid of the stench. I could use something to make this situation slightly better. 

No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't remember a thing.

Who was I?

Where was I?

How old was I?

The only thing that I knew about myself was the fact that I was a female. That's something that one can tell upon first looking at someone though. Unless a person is transgender or something. Nerves ran through my veins almost like they were my blood. They only worsened when the elevator started speeding up, accelerating more and more. I needed a weapon. I needed to defend myself from whatever would be at the top of this elevator.

That's if there was anything at the top. For all I knew, I could have been stuck in the elevator for the rest of my life.

Frantically, I search through the boxes, in the hope of finding a knife, or even just some sort of tool that would make an effective weapon. Much to my surprise, I found what I was looking for. A pocket knife. I felt my face light up as I pressed the button on the side and the knife shot out of the top of the metal handle.

Unexpectedly, the elevator stopped, causing me to fall backwards and hit my head off of the side of the elevator. I went dizzy for a second and had to close my eyes so that I could get my bearings a little bit. I thought that closing my eyes would be a good idea, until I opened them again. I was blinded by sunlight that shone down into the metal elevator that I was sat in, if it weren't for a few shadows that were blocking out the sun, I'm pretty sure that the brightness would have been a lot worse. 

My instincts kicked in when I realised that all of the shadows that surrounded the top of the elevator were humans, males to be exact. From what I could see, there weren't any other females. Almost immediately, I held the pocket knife out in front of me as an attempt to defend myself. But let's face it. I wouldn't stand a chance.

"Woah woah woah, we're not here to hurt you. We're just waiting for Alby to get here." A scrawny blonde guy said, holding his hands up as if he were surrendering to something or someone. He sounded quite posh compared to the other people that I could hear mumbling around me.

"Well that depends on what happens next. We've never had a girl in The Glade before, Newt. And Alby said that he's got to deal with the slinthead in the shutters." My head snapped towards where the other voice had came from. He was quite buff compared to the posh guy. He had blonde hair that looked like it naturally sat in a slight quiff, blue eyes, and arched eyebrows. From the way that they were talking, it seemed like they were nervous about me being the only girl in 'The Glade', but I still didn't let my guard down.

Everyone was silent for a minute, the only sound being the slight whispers of the others that surrounded me. Suddenly, the guy with the blue eyes and arched eyebrows jumped down into the elevator. "Stay Back!" I said, pointing the knife towards him. He wasn't close enough for me to actually do anything unless I were standing up.

"For shuck sake, I'm only getting some of the supplies." He said before picking up a wooden box and lifting it up so that two other people could carry it out of the elevator. "But you might want to hurry up and get out of that box, we've all got jobs to do and the sooner you get a tour of the place and are assigned to a job like a med-jack or a cook, the sooner we can all get on with our lives."

At that moment, I must have done the biggest eye-roll ever. I'm pretty sure that if I rolled my eyes any harder, they would have gone to the back of my head. Does he really think that bossing me about is going to make me want to actually do as he says?

Stubbornly, I sat there for another 5 minutes with my legs crossed as I admired the pocket knife that was in my hand. The people had taken all of the supplies out of the elevator; only the animals were left. "Here, I'll help you up." I heard the posh guy say as he held out a hand for me.

"I can get up by myself, thanks." I replied, ignoring the hand that he had held out for me before climbing out of the elevator. I knew that it was rude, but being in a place where I knew nothing about anything meant that I had to keep my guard up.

I walked away from the group of people, wanting to just clear my head of all of the questions that were running through it. I looked at my surroundings, trying to figure out where I was. From what I could see, there were quite a few huts with hammocks in them. I guessed that that would be the sleeping area. It didn't look too nice but it's either sleeping in a hammock or sleeping on the ground and, well, beggars can't be choosers.

There was also a kitchen, an eating area, and a hut. Curious as to what was in the hut, I walked over to it. "You must be the new greenie." Someone said as I walked into the hut that was filled with beds. It was probably an infirmary. There were a few people that had been injured lying or sitting on the beds.

"Greenie?" I asked, confused as to why everyone had been calling me 'greenie' since I got here.

"It's what we call the new people." The boy said as he bandaged up someone's arm.

"Oh..." I replied, not knowing what to say. "Do new people always come here?" I asked, trying to get an explanation.

"We get a new person once a month. Along with animals and supplies. But if you have any questions, Alby would be the one to talk to. Either Alby or Newt." He replied, turning his head towards me before giving me a small smile and washing his hands in the sink.

"Do you know where I could find this Alby?" Just that moment, a tall, dark, buff guy walked into the infirmary.

"Hey, Greenie. I'm Alby."