Moonlight Road

Image based Prompt 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Stop the car"

The vehicle came to an abrupt stop.

"What is-"

"Shhh," he put his finger to his lips as his face broke out into such a dazzling smile, that she too began grinning fiercely, "We are here."

She gave him a sideway glance, "Where the hell are we?"

He exhaled softly, something she couldn't quite place glimmered in his eyes. She had never felt more alive.

She looked at the endless road ahead of them and the full moon shining right above the purple sunset. She breathed in the summer air and felt the cool breeze dance upon on skin, giving her goosebumps.

She could feel his presence beside her. He shifted his balance from one foot to the other. After a moment of silence he coughed awkwardly. At last he spoke, "So, you like it?"

She was speechless. Her body was electrified. Every part of her was on fire.

"I love it."

He smiled so big, looking so pleased with himself that she couldn't help but throw her head back and laugh.

She stared off into the distance again, admiring the skyline as the sun melted into the night. Everything about this was perfect.

Tears welled up in her eyes. She had never been so happy. She put her hand to her mouth to cover her sobs. Her heart pounded with the music of a thousand orchestras.

She glanced down. Somehow they had begun holding hands. They both looked at their intertwined fingers, then at each other. She gripped his hand tighter and so did he. Their eyes were locked onto each others, both feeling the burn of first love. This was happiness.