Book one

CONTENTS:

CP1- TRY HARD

CP2-UNPREDICTABLE

CP3-AMNESIA

CP4-GREENLIGHT

CP5-LOST BOY

CP6-LONG WAY HOME

CP7- VOODOO DOLL

CP8-IV'E GOT THIS FRIEND

CP9-THE PERFECT DISGUISE

EPILOGUE

chapter1 - Try Hard

"That was a fucking rocking show tonight lads!" Ashton exclaimed wiping the back of his hand against his gleaming brow. The nightclub where the after show party was being held was crowded and steamy. A mass crowd of tanned named-nobodies danced drunkly on the open planned floor, swaying to the haunting beat. There was a chorus of claps and exhausted cheers from the collage of us that sat squashed together like crayons over two art deco sofas. It was the last night of the tour, after months of travelling it was all at an end.

I wasn't quite sure how to feel. I was relieved to have the boys back full time but there was still a little nervous ball of angst in my chest. Michael and i would be together in normal everyday situations- well as normal as you could get when being in a band- and i just hoped things would stay the same, that what we had wouldn't change just because we weren't always in a desperate rush to spend time with each other, taking advantage of every free moment we could grasp our hands to. I was elated for them though. they were finally getting somewhere with their career.

My contemplative train of thought was interrupted as a drink menu on the wall caught my eye. I noticed there was a drink called Pink Unicorn on it. I turned around and hit Michael on the arm. "Ow", he said. 

"Loooook" I exclaimed, pointing at the menu. 

"What?" 

"Pink Unicorn", I said. "I neeeed it". 

He saw it and gasped dramatically. "I'm going to get that drink for us. RIGHT NOW" he jumped up and jogged over to the bar. I laughed to myself as I watched him go. I felt Ruth give an exasperated sigh beside me as if to remind me she's in a shitty mood and I should be too. her arms were folded angrily in their usual positioning, her spine was slumped defeatedly against the back of the sofa and her legs were crossed so tightly I thought they were going to wrap around themselves. in fact, she looked as though she wanted to wrap something around her neck and strangle herself. she hadn't wanted to go to the concert, let alone the party, but it was me the "annoyingly over concerned friend"- as she addressed me as- that had seemingly "pressurized" her into coming.

the fact of the matter was, she had recently withdrawn into a state of hermit-ism due to the untimely breakup of her low-key relationship with Matty. A twat with a ridiculous haircut - if it could even be classified as a haircut- who staggered through life in a constant flurry of smoke from a god damn plant he grew in a pot on his windowsill. i know what your thinking, he's a keeper. Untimely? Its about fucking time they broke up. The stench from her clothes was beginning to make her smell like a walking stalk of cannabis. Even so, my heart did shatter a little to see her like this.

"I can see you're having fun" I angled my head towards ruth and chanced a smile. "i'm so glad you came, you're really adding insight to this conversation." she glared back at me 

"Yes, a riveting conversation. Fucking unicorns". 

The boys, Ashton, Calum and Luke were discussing aspects of the nights performance along with their team. They were huddled in close, their voices raised due to the loud music. The whole reason i had come was to be a supportive, celebratory (somehow) girlfriend and i had taken Ruth to accompany me for times when i got lost and couldn't follow what the boys were talking about. This was one of those times.I gave her a look that was half sympathetic and half judgmental.