Chapter 1

*RING RING*

I shut my eyes really tight, trying hard to ignore my 6 A.M. alarm going off right beside my head.

"UGH! Fine, you win! I'm getting up!" I shuffled around in my bed until I was right by the alarm clock. I pushed the off button and made my way into the bathroom to prepare myself for another day of my miserable job.

-Allow me to give you a visual of Emmalyn's background. She's a 21 year old college student who attends Penn State. She's working hard to become a psychiatrist and lives in a low society apartment (that's really all she can afford, college is expensive) with loud neighbors that also attend Penn. She works as a head waitress at one of the top restaurants in the area.-

I glance one more time in the mirror to make sure my collar is straight and my hair isn't falling out of place and I lock down my apartment down for another long 10 hour shift.

I always take the train to work because the parking around this place really sucks, especially downtown near the restaurant. Besides, the way traffic is set up around here the train is the better alternative to being late. As head waitress, my boss would see being late as lazy and I just couldn't risk my job. I also save gas for my car! Sorry if I'm rambling, I get really antsy on the train that's usually so packed to where breathing is a struggle.

The train stops at my division to get off so I exit the train and walk about 10 minutes to where the restaurant is located. I walk inside and clock in at exactly 7:59 A.M. which is cutting it close to being late but I wasn't actually late. I make my way around to the waitress area to start brewing tea and making sure the salad prep is done. The cooks are in the kitchen doing their own thing before we open up for the day and I wait for my best friend, Lanie, to come and clock in.

Me and Lanie applied to work here at the same time around a year ago and I'm so thankful boss man hired us both. Lanie and I went to high school together, we grew up together. If it weren't for this job, we probably wouldn't be close. After graduation, Lanie's dad got sick so she decided to not take up college and to get a full time job to help her family pay for her father's treatments and medical bills. I really do admire her for being such a strong, independent lady.

"HEY! Earth to Emmalyn!" Lanie shouted right behind me as I pulled myself out of my own thoughts.

"Hey Lanie. I'm sorry, I was just all off in another world," I went over to give her a squeeze.

She pulls away from my grip, "So, I have great news," I could tell by the light in her eyes it was something really good.

She paused and just looked at me, "Well speak woman! Tell me!" I say with a giggle.

"Dad's in remission. They really think he's cured."

I hugged Lanie so tightly, "I'm so glad to hear that! Tell him I said I'm really happy he's doing well."

"I sure will. So what do we need to do around this place? We open in about 20 minutes," Lanie asked as she looked down at her watch.

"Well, we could probably go through and wipe down the tables and sweep one good time," I suggested.

We both grabbed some table cleaner and a broom and kept ourselves busy until time for the open sign to appear and the restaurant to contain busy bodies in and out.

The restaurant is usually busy on Friday's so I expected nothing less than to bust my tail from open to close. As my shift drew close to an end, Lanie came up to me with a frown. "Do you think I could leave a little early?" She asked. I glanced at her sections and noticed she had emptied her tables. "Sure," I said with a grin. "You're the best," Lanie smiled as she gave me a hug.