You Mean More To Me Than I Realised

"Your assignment is to write an essay about a personal experience that changed your life."

I sat in my English literature class, dipping in and out of The Egg of the Black Goat, as my professor explained our next assignment. An essay? Easy. However, a personal experience was a different story. 

I am fully aware that my life hasn't been the easiest and some may class me as unlucky. I can understand that but I believe that some people could have it worse. Personal is something I don't do. It's sort of a worst-nightmare for someone like me who keeps to themselves. Ah well, I must persevere! 

"Your essay is due in a week today, you'll be presenting it to the class so be sure to be prepared."

With that, class was dismissed and I left the classroom last with my bag slung over my shoulder and my face in a book. I headed outside and sat on the bench I always claimed as mine. More, it was the quietest place in school so I'm the only one who sits there. 

I was sat, immersed in my book when I felt someone creeping behind me. I turned to see who was distracting me when someone hit my shoulder blades with a tough yet gentle push. 

"KAAAAANEKI!~" Behind me was a smug looking Hide. His classic yellow jacket and iconic messy, orange hair.

"Hide! You scared the living day lights out of me!"

"Hehehehe!!" My best friend stood with his hands on his hips, grinning like a maniac. He always had a grin on his kind face when he spoke to me. His optimism couldn't help but rub off on me and I'd find myself smiling back. He sat on the bench next to me and rested his hands behind his head, his red headphones hooked around his neck. The dark brown eyes looked straight into my grey ones as he spoke to me. "So, what'cha doin'? Any work or did you get lucky this week?"

"I have an essay to write for English literature,"

"What on?"

"A personal experience that had an impact on me or something like that,"

"Oh..." The red-head sat next to me suddenly went silent. I looked up from my book cover to see what he was thinking about. his eyes were focused on the floor in front of us and his brows knotted together. He had moved his hands from resting on his neck to his elbows resting on his knees. I was about to ask what was wrong when he spoke before me. "What are you going to write about?" 

He looked at me seriously yet his eyes had a hint of concern in them. Hide has been by my side for most of my life, he knows what I've been through and he knows that I can still be effected by it sometimes but he never pitted me. He would just help me get back up and walk again. i was grateful for it every time. 

"I'm not sure..." I could write about my childhood, school, house, friend - not that I had any other than Hide - but I'm sure that's what everyone will be writing about and I want to be original. I could write about my first time visiting my favourite coffee shop, Anteiku, and the girl I like there. I could....but I won't.

"Well," Hide patted my shoulder and stood up. "As long as you get it done! Don't be like me and leave it to the last moment!" With that he put his headphones on and gave me a thumbs up. This was his way of parting at college whenever he had to leave for a lecture or meeting or whatever he gets up to here. 

I didn't have any more places to be so I decided to go home and try to plan out this writing...

------------

A personal experience....

When I was too young to remember my father died, my mother raised me but she died when I was still a child from over working herself. I was alone. I had no one to turn to.