Chapter 1

My phone lit up with texts when I turned it on after landing at Heathrow.

Holly: "So have u kissed him yet?"

Jamie: "OMG, you're going to be a real life princess!!"

Beth: "just remember to hold ur pinkie up when u drink tea and curtsy when u meet the Queen!"

I smiled and rolled my eyes. Everyone was still waiting to get off the plane, so I started to type.

To Holly: "Don't be ridiculous, I'm sooo not pretty enough for Prince Harry to kiss!"

To Jamie: "Seriously?? I have known him for like 2 weeks!!"

To Beth: "I realllllly doubt that I'll meet the Queen, or anyone else in the royal fam for that matter. This is just a bunch of friends getting together w Harry."

My heart dropped a little as I sent that last one. Harry's school friends, people he knew from the army, charity polo teammates... What on Earth was I going to say to these people? I didn't even know how many of them would be there. Harry had been vague about the details when we talked on Skype.

My phone dinged as I was getting my bag down from the overhead compartment.

Holly: "Are u kidding me Leah, ur like the exotic american! U two will be so in love by the end of the weekend."

I stuffed my phone back in my jeans pocket. She was probably half right, at least. I would fall in love with Prince Harry - an unrequited love, of course, but one that gave me space to dream.

How could I help but imagine myself a princess, known and liked throughout the world, living in a palace and devoting my time to bettering the world and helping people? As a princess I could be bold. I could be myself without fear! Love for Harry could be the key to a lifetime of happiness.

I didn't feel any love for him yet, however. As I walked off the plane and found the line for customs, I felt only anxiety, like I always do when I'm in a crowd. I just feel so... invisible, like no one sees me for who I really am, like I have no voice. It's the classic introvert's problem, I guess. I so envy those people who can talk and laugh with anyone without feeling awkward and alone.

After way too much time yawning from jet lag as I waited in line for the customs officer to let me into the country, I stepped outside of security and spotted a smiling, ruddy-cheeked man in a suit holding a sign that said, "Leah Dorne."

I walked up to him. "Harry sent a driver?"

"Yes, miss." The chauffeur beamed. "Shall we? It's a bit of a jaunt over to Kensington."

As I settled gratefully into the black sedan's spacious back seat, I glanced out the window. For some reason the clouds in England always seem especially picturesque and puffy, not like clouds anywhere else. I smiled to myself. I hadn't been back to England for ten years, not since the glorious year I studied abroad in college, when I used to wander by myself through fields of heather and dream of the day I'd have the courage to write down my musing thoughts for others to read.

Funnily enough, I met Prince Harry in Canada, not England. A couple weeks ago he hosted a special athletic competition for wounded soldiers in Vancouver, and I decided to drive the 12 hours up to see it. My health hasn't been great for the last few years - I get these terrible headaches that last for days - and I wanted to be inspired by people with physical challenges doing remarkable things.

I was trying to find my way to the wheelchair basketball venue when I got lost. Somehow I ended up in a "back stage" area that you had to have a special pass to enter, except no one noticed me come in. Suddenly I heard a voice behind me. It was Harry, asking if I needed help with anything.

He laughed at my astonished expression when I turned around and saw him. He was very down-to-earth for a prince, and in no time he was asking in a friendly manner where I was from and what sports I most wanted to see while I was here. I responded awkwardly, tripping over my own tongue as I always do, but he still stood with me and smiled.

I think it was the fact that I'm from rural Montana ranch country that fascinated him about me. He's never been to Montana and really wants to go, so he was asking me about it and everything. He was amazed when I said that my town only has 1,000 people, with no bigger towns with things like clothing stores and movies theaters around for 80 miles in any direction. I told him about my family's small ranch and two horses, and then I ended up telling him about my headaches and how life has been such a struggle lately.

I still felt awkward talking to him, but somehow we bonded enough that he invited me out for drinks with him and some of the event's competitors, and after a second night out with them he was inviting some of us to come to England in two weeks for a house party and polo game he was having with a bunch of friends.

I was the only one who could make it. So here I am.

My head was pounding by the time the chauffeur finally pulled up in front of Kensington Palace, the residence of the younger royals (Harry, plus William and Kate and their two toddlers) and my official guest pad for the weekend. I staggered a little from exhaustion as I got out of the car, but my heart was beating fast from excitement. Here's my moment! I thought - laughing a little at myself as I thought it. Here's when I see my prince and we start our journey of love together!

And just like I imagined, a handsome prince came to greet me after the butler opened the door. Just like I imagined, my breath caught when I looked in his eyes, and I felt an unspoken spark between us.

But he wasn't Harry...