July 7th

Today

Is the day it all changed.

I can't sleep, I'm scared.

It was about 10:30 when you got home, mom was in her craft room working on some party invitations for a friend, Jay was in the living room watching Barney, and I was in the kitchen doing the dishes.

You unlocked the door and slam it once you entered, you passed Jay and came to the kitchen. You reeked of alcohol and cigarettes, you walked with hard steps to the fridge. You grunt in disappointment, you turn and grab my shoulder." where's the beer" you asked me sounding angry, I turned around... I felt a sharp quick pain in my cheek before I can contain what's going on I feel my lower back hit the cold tiled floor.

He punched me.

Mom ran out of her room once she heard me fall. She tried to run past you, but you block her and push her into the wall. All I hear is mom grunting in agony and Jay bawling, I get up and run and grab mom by the arm and drag her next to Jay and stand in front of them. Protecting them like a mother cat protecting her kittens, " don't touch them, they don't deserve it" I yell at you.

You grabbed my chin and tilt it up so we are meeting eyes," why don't you just sit and be the dog with your tail in between your legs like always" you let go and walk past all three of us and sits on the couch switching the channel on the tv. I stand there speechless, mom grabs my arm and tells me everything will be okay.

But I know nothing will be okay, ever again.