Mermaid in the Bathtub?? (Newt x Tina)

hi!! i originally wrote this on tumblr (arcticxash) and i used one of the dialogue prompts from another blog, so that's who the credit goes to for this lovely prompt!

based on the prompt: "Newt? Why is there a mermaid in the bathtub? I need to get ready for the MACUSA's annual end of the year ceremony, Newt. Newt get that mermaid out of the bathroom. Newt." from thegaypumpingthroughyourveins (tumblr) dialogue prompt list!! 

ship: newt scamander x tina goldstein

rating: K

New York, 1928

New York, 1928. The day had started off wonderful for Porpentina Goldstein. She had taken a walk in Central Park with her sister Queenie and after that, they had visited Queenie's no-maj fiance (A/N: o shoot that's illegal!!!) Jacob in his bakery. Tina's boyfriend, magizoologist Newt Scamander, was coming from England on a steamer and would be in New York very soon. She was very excited to see him and they had been corresponding for months, ever since his mother got sick and he had to return home to help nurse her back to health. That's not the only thing she was excited for though; tonight was MACUSA's annual end of the year ceremony, and the only night that all of the Aurors and staff got to have some lighthearted fun. 

Getting up from the table she had been sitting at with Queenie, Tina smiled and said "Thanks for the pastries, Jacob, I'll see you soon! Queenie, are you coming with me?" Tina asked, but she already knew the answer as her sister snuck a grin at Jacob and shook her head. "No Teen, I'll see you at the ceremony tonight though, I promise. I won't be late. Now, get on home to that boyfriend of yours. I believe he's here." Queenie winked and Tina felt her heartbeat grow faster. She walked outside and ducked into an alley, where she apparated to the door of her apartment building. Tina was walking up the stairs to her apartment when her landlady Mrs. Esposito called to her and asked her if she was alone, and Tina replied with, "Always alone, Mrs. Esposito," with a smile in her voice. She was so nervous yet so thrilled about seeing Newt after three months without him. Unlocking the door to her apartment, she stepped inside, looking around. "I guess Queenie was wrong." Tina said to herself, as she hung her coat up. "What was Queenie wrong about?" Tina jumped a foot in the air as she heard the voice of Newt behind her. Slowly, she turned around to face her boyfriend, seeing his auburn fringe covering his eyes and his slightly lopsided smile on his face that she loved so much.

"NEWTONARTEMISFIDOSCAMANDER!!" Tina screeched, launching herself into his arms. "Hello darling." Newt said lovingly, laughing as he caught Tina and encircled his arms around her, holding her up. "I missed you oh so much. How was the trip from England? How is your mother? Is she well? How are our creatures? Do they miss me? Can I see th-" Tina gushed, grinning at Newt when he cut her off with a kiss. "I missed you too, sweetheart. The trip was as good as it could be, my mother is well, our creatures definitely miss Mummy, and yes, you can see them very soon." Tina kissed Newt again, then buried her face in his shoulder. "Would you like to see them now? We can catch up while feeding the mooncalves, and the occamies have missed you so. Dougal has as well." Tina's eyes lit up at the mention of Dougal the demiguise. "What about Pickett? Does he miss me?" She teased, knowing that the bowtruckle was eavesdropping in Newt's front coat pocket the whole time. At the mention of his name, Pickett popped up and hopped on Tina's shoulder, and started talking and gesturing to her. Giggling, Tina turned to Newt and said, "I want to go see the crea... Oh shoot." She had gotten a glimpse of the wall clock, which read 5:30 PM. "What's wrong my love?" Newt frowned and kissed Tina's temple. "20 minutes!!" Tina exclaimed. With a quick kiss on the cheek, Tina pulled herself from Newt's grasp and ran to the bathroom to shower and change. 

Newt was just getting comfortable in the living room when he heard a scream from Tina and the bathroom door being thrown open. Tina yelled down the hall, towel wrapped around her, "Newt? Why is there a mermaid in the bathtub? I need to get ready for the MACUSA's annual end of the year ceremony, Newt. Newt get that mermaid out of the bathroom. Newt." Newt winced at Tina's tone, and cursed inwardly for forgetting to take Eliana out of the tub. He walked down the hall to his very upset, yet beautiful, girlfriend, who looked ready to hex him any minute. "Sorry dearest, I had to pick Eliana up on the trip here. She was the last of her species in that area since they were being hunted. She also needed a bigger space to swim around in so I figured you wouldn't mind if I just put her in the tub, but clearly now I know that you re-" Tina cut him off with a kiss. "It's fine, Newt, I didn't want to go anyways. Screw ceremonies, I want to stay here with you and our babies (A/N: ...their creatures)." Newt smiled at this and he took Tina's hand, ready to lead her to the case, but she stopped, raising an eyebrow at him. "What about the mermaid, Newton?" He ducked his head from her gaze. "Uh, well... I don't really have any other plans-" Tina once again cut him off, but this time with laughter. "It's okay, she can stay there until we figure it out." Newt smiled, "Really?" Tina nodded her head, giggling. "Oh Tina, this is how I know we mermaid for each other." Newt grinned at her rolling her eyes as he pulled her into a kiss. "You're an idiot, Newton Scamander, but you're my idiot, and I love you." fin.