Human

This place is disgusting.  I think to myself as one of the many military vehicles splashes through the streets.  Litter, trash, the whole shebang.  I'm sorry I can't leave because of the lockdown.  I hear sirens from across the road, but do nothing.

"Aren't you excited about your party, Nia?"  My younger sister, Alla, jump up and down beside me.  "Because I sure am!"  Seven year olds can be so snnoying sometimes.

"My birthday isn't for another three months,"  I reply.

"But you're turning thirteen!  You become a grown-up!  You get your own dwelling!"

"Big deal," I play it off as cooly as I can.  In this town, everyone gets a dwelling when they turn thirteen, then they are assigned partner when they turn sixteen.  That is when they can apply for a child. 

"Ezrie and Mike will be there."

I knew that already.  I hadn't seen my older brother or his wife since they had gotten assigned.  

I turn the corner toward my sister's school, a small run-down place with run-down children playing in the yard in front of it.  I smooth down her dress, give her a kiss, and say goodbye.  She runs toward the shack yelling "Tallia, that worm belongs in the ground!"

I crack a grin, turn and begin down the street again.  Off to school I go.