Chapter 1: Another Origin Story

The typical cold winter night. The twenty-fourth of December. The light amount of snow glowed against the midnight blue of the sky. It doesn't snow often in Austin, Texas, so Geoff Ramsey threw a Christmas party at his own home. He invited a bunch of people he knew, including some co-workers. One of his guests was Ray Narvaez Jr.

He strolled down the street, not legally able to drive. His head bowed down to a red device, two screens flashing with miniature monsters fighting each other. The various buildings in the area, the scenery or even noises didn't seem to distract him. The only abnormalities in his movement were the occasional pushing of his squared prescription glasses. His zipped thick purple hoodie covered masked his face as he walked, his black tracksuit pants often sliding under his greyscale skate shoes.

The suburb was very loud this time of year, parties happening in almost every house with music pounding. To think that the same would happen in a weeks time for New Year's was a strange thought. 

When Ray arrived at Geoff's house he didn't do so much as bat an eye. Instinctively, Ray walked through the open gate of the white picket fence, lightly tapped the 'beware of dog' sign with his foot; seeing as there is no dog to beware, knocked on the security door and leant against the exposed-brick wall. In the time he had before someone answered, he put away his game system, shoved his hands in his pockets and shivered as if just realising how cold it was. The door swung open inwards but the security door stayed, the light pouring from inside onto the small patches of snow outside and the loud music forcing itself out. A faint silhouette was seen through the security door.

"Ah, Ray! I was afraid you weren't going to make it!" The silhouette exclaimed, seeming relieved.They opened the security door, making the silhouette clear to be Geoff Ramsey. His peach skin a backdrop for his brown moustache fit for the likes of the Mario Bros. His short hair showed off much of his forehead. His arms cloaked in tattoos.

Geoff gestured for Ray to enter, and he did. He pulled down his hood to reveal his face and hair. He had a light stubble on his cheeks and chin which faded as they crossed the threshold to become sideburns. He had essentially a buzzcut for the back and sides of his head, hair protruding from the top the length of the first digit of a finger.

"Nice haircut." Geoff commented with a smirk.

"Bite me." Ray shot back playfully, clearly hearing it too often already.

"You're a bit late, could you meet me in the bedroom?" Geoff asked innocently.

Ray's eyes nearly popped out of their sockets from the request, his arms pushing against his sides. Ray tried to let Geoff down easily.

"Look, Geoff. I'm flattered, really-"

"Not like that!" Geoff interjected. "I've handed out most of the presents already. Gav's been getting a bit rowdy and I don't want him too drunk when I give his gift."

"Why haven't you given him his?" Ray questioned. Before Geoff could answer, he had disappeared among the crowd.

Ray shrugged it off and continued down the hallway, shutting both doors behind him. It wasn't long before he realised he had no clue where Geoff's bedroom was. He started searching for Geoff's wife or daughter to point him in the right direction.

The music immediately installed a ringing in Ray's ears, the lights making the white walls seem yellow. The music quickly switched to an ad for a subscription to the music service, giving Ray the chance for a glimpse into conversations.

"What'd you get for Christmas?"

"I can understand a bowl of punch, but a bowl of whisky?"

"Wow, he couldn't even get the free trial for this music?"