Forever.

It all started when Dave turned 16. He was estatic! He can finally drive, he can go hang out with friends past 10 o'clock, and he didn't have Bro breathing down his neck every second of the day! He finally had freedom!

However, what made him the happiest, was he was a year closer to finding out who his soulmate was. A few months after he had turned 14, he was in baking class doodling on his left arm as Mr. Egbert was going on and on about how to make the perfect frosting.

For some odd reason, which Dave still can't remember, after drawing a stickman with a dress, he drew an alligator with a tophat. At the time, he thought it was hilarious. After sloppily coloring it in with a green marker his friend Jade had handed him, a grey heart appeared next to its open mouth.

Dave, at first, had been confused

Dave, at first, had been confused. When had he drawn a heart? Who even draws hearts? That's hella gay.

However, after voicing his curiosity to John and Jade, Jade squealed happily. Her eyed glossed over with excitement, "It's your soulmate, stupid! Have you not been listening in Teen Life class?" She asks him.

Of course he hadn't, he already knew what sex was and not to get people pregnant. He wasn't stupid.

"It's not all about sex, Dave." John says as he closes his locker. He turns, sticking up his finger and wiggling it, "They also talk about soulmates. Almost 20% of the world, which isn't alot by the way, has a way of finding their true mate."

Dave snorted, "Mate? What are we, cats in heat?"

Jade rolled her eyes behind her big, round glasses, "David, be serious! This could be your potential soulmate!"

She opens her arms in a grand gesture as she puts emphasis on the word "soulmate". She clasps her hands together, turning back to Dave, "When drawing on your arm with a pen or a marker, it also appears on your soulmate's skin! It's adorable!"

John nods, "I write on my arm all the the time hoping someone will reply." Jade fixes her glasses, grinning, "Yeah! Me too!"

Dave crinkles his nose. It just sounds like something a 10 year old came up with hoping for her prince charming.

However, the back and forth of the two continued. The person, who he'd learned was a boy named Karkat, praised him for his stupid drawings. If you call cussing and calling him "A sorry excuse for a living human" praising.

Back to the present. After hanging out with Jade, Rose, and John all day, Dave finally came home and plopped down at his desk. He opened a drawer and took out his red marker. He held out his arm and began writing on his forearm;

hey, karkles. im back. miss me?

A reply came a few minutes later;

NO.

BUT FOR REAL, HAPPY BIRTHDAY. HERE'S ONE TO HOPING WE MEET SOON.

yeah i rly wanna meet you.

YEAH, WELL, I'M NOT ALOT TO LOOK FORWARD TO.