Redamancy

New York City
August 22nd, 1922
Ethan

Shiny new black cars cruise down the streets. The newspaper boys are shouting and waving their extras above their heads. Through the windows to several businesses, workers click away on their typewriters. Amongst all the noise and commotion, I find the alley that I'm looking for.

My twin brother, Grayson, is waiting for me in our usual spot. Every afternoon, we sneak out of the orphanage to steal food and read the newspapers. Lately, he snaps at me whenever I tell him I have plans with my girlfriend, Claire. Typically, Grayson talks to me nonstop, smiling and laughing at everything.

"He's so cute," He'll giggle while petting a stray cat's head.

"Okay, before I went on my first date I..." Grayson will burst out laughing. He can hardly finish his own sentences without laughing in between. "I did pushups before I met her, so I would look better." His face scrunches up and he smiles at his own ridiculousness. Lately, our conversations are filled with him asking deeper questions like, "Hey, Ethan... do you think we're twins for a reason?" or "E, do you believe in heaven?" It's the worst when I mention Claire.

"Gray, I'm going to Claire's tonight. You should come with me and meet her,"

"No thanks." No smiles. No pushing me on the shoulder asking what we will doing that night. No winks telling me to behave myself.

"What if she came here? I'm sure if you just-"

"Just forget it, Ethan!" Grayson snaps, his voice about eight octaves lower than usual.

Something is clearly wrong, but I have no clue what it is. Is he jealous that I spend time with her? That would make the most sense, because ever since our family died, all we've had is each other. I emerge from the corner and see Grayson, his light short brown hair brushing in the breeze.

New York City
September 10th, 1922
Grayson

I'm going insane. Sometimes when Claire talks to me, I swear she's speaking directly to me.

"Grayson, it's going to be okay." Her voice echoes in my mind.

"What? What did you say?"

She pauses and catches her breath. "I said, Grayson's going to be okay." A small part of me is praying that deep down she knows the difference...

I also forget to pretend to be Ethan sometimes. She likes to read to us, out of her favorite green book about a prince who falls in love with a pauper. Ethan is farther ahead than I am, and sometimes, I gasp or gape at scenes that are revealing something new for me. I forget that Ethan already knows these parts of the story. I'm slowly giving my identity away...

New York City
November 2nd, 1922
Grayson

Claire and I are sitting in the hay-colored grass near a pond with deep blue water. She's reading to me out of her green book. All of a sudden, she snaps it closed and says, "I have a question for you,"

"Anything,"

"How long are you going to keep lying to me, Grayson?!"

My heart stops. My palms, neck, and back begin to sweat.

"What?" I whisper incredulously.

"Do you think I'm stupid? Do you think I read so many books because I'm dumb?" She snorts.

"How long...have you...?"

"For a while now! You didn't think I would notice that when you have a birthmark on your cheek, but Ethan's is on his chin? Or that when Ethan is flattered he smiles and then looks away in shyness, but you smile proudly and look straight ahead? I kept waiting and waiting for you to tell me, but you never did! Were you ever going to?" She's throwing her hands in the air and her jaw is clenched tightly.