PROLOGUE

FROM   MY  EARLIEST  MEMORY, Nouri Jackson has been a makeup goddess. She could contour, highlight, bronze... If it is a thing, she could do it. That includes SFX makeup, even going on to collaborate with Glam&Gore a few times on YouTube. Needless to say, we all figured that she'd be a makeup artist or something. Well, she chose that something -- my twin sister became a model. 

As for me, I'm a painter. Landscapes are my speciality. Unlike Nouri, I'm not oozing sexuality or confidence. Of anything, I leak paint from occasionally falling asleep at like two in the afternoon with my face pressed against a canvas. My lifestyle was far different than my sister's, but we found time for one another and we shared bits of each other's hectic lives.

I can remember it was it was just yesterday. We were in my Durango, on our way to the local pizza shop, when a duckling wandered into the street. Nouri grabbed the wheel, smacking my head again at the window in the process. We did a sharp turn to the right, missing the baby bird by perhaps a full centimetre.

Instead of hitting the small creature, we hit the brick wall of the pizzeria.

Next thing that I know, I'm waking up in a weird smelling room and I'm covered with bandages. I asked about Nouri, but I must've been on some pretty heavy painkillers because my words came out jumbled for a few days. My head was swimming and my eyes were resisting my will to remain open, always finding themselves shutting whilst I attempted to communicate.

Where was Nouri?

I was in there for a month before a doctor so much as mentioned her and another three weeks before somebody informed me that she was comatose.

I didn't fight with my eyes to stay open after that.