Bijjala Deva - The Shakuni, Dhritharasthra in one

Dhritharashtra - not really

Bijjala Deva when I first saw I felt it reminded me of Dhritharashtra. But unlike Mahabharatha he was not denied the throne for his handicap. He was denied for his character deficiency. What else was different I thought. But let us look at the similarities. Ego, complex, hatred, despising the better person, envy, jealousy, low level manipulation these are same.

Of course - Dhritharashtra later became king. That also ok. What was the real twist? Yes Gaandhari!!The Gaandhari here - Sivagami devi was just, right and powerful. She was astute, shrewd, smart and managed her evil husband and thwarted him. Her right hand man was aware of the thought process and evil machinations. 

The real difference was not even that she ruled and never was a puppet under him in the name of wifely duty. There was a difference in the low level arrogance towards the people which Dhritharashtra never had. The way he says "100 adi sila, 100 thalayavathu bali kelkatha" (100 feet idol will demand sacrifice of 100 people). Same disdain at the battle field when his subjects are killed. That was another difference.

But the main and the real difference was Bijjala Deva hated Sivagaami and poisoned his son and even plotted, planned and participated and instigated his son to kill his own mother in cold blood. Dhritharashtra never could have done that - that sets apart Bijjala from the Kuru king.

Shakuni - letter perfect

Shakuni - the master manipulator, The master strategist, plotter, the shrewd, the cunning, the heartless, cold blooded, the vengeful, unscrupulous and evil minded. The man who would take any path against all his enemies. Who had no scruples to kill Kunti even in Arakkillam or attempt to kill. Just as Devasena's path is set on fire. No scruples towards women even or children.

It is evident the way he says kill the little infant. The attempt to kill Abhimanyu is what comes to mind at the instigation to kill infant Mahendra. The evil personification of Bijjala is complete with the order and demand given to Sivagaami herself. The way he divides the army shows his low level cunning and underestimation of Baahubali.

That is where Shakuni is different. Shakuni never underestimated Pandavas or Krishna. Even Shakuni was a benevolent king and never did anything wrong to his people or despised them. Shakuni was always of the opinion that Krishna without weapons also is dangerous. He never underestimated his opponents. 

But the Kumara Verma manipulation was brilliant if not unrealistic. Sivagaami going the foolish way to believe it is almost impossible. But the brilliant way he has soldiers ready to capture and kill Sivagaami if required is tactical genius. Well planned!! But Shakuni has no ego so that is where Bijjala fails in comparison but in the character overall Bijjala is more Shakuni than Dhritharashtra.

The gap from Baahubali and Mahabharatha

There is nowhere the interaction between Baahubali and Bijjala to show how he acts and controls his feelings in Baahu's presence. Dhritharashtra always was benevolent and kind towards Pandavas and Draupadi in initial days. Giving half kingdom and even giving the freedom back in first round of dice.

Those sort of interactions would have done good. How he manipulates and acts while back stabs. Here it is clear evident he is back stabbing, hating and everyone knows. From the beginning it is evident to all. Dhritharashtra comes off till the second half of Mahabharatha as trying to be a just ruler and just kinsman to Pandavas.

Shakuni part also fails in the understimation of Baahubali and Kattappa. How he tries to manipulate him to kill Mahendra is superb and befitting Shakuni. But Even Shakuni was no fool to try something with Krishna which was obviously stupid. Kattappa would always have a reason and if he kills Amarendra because he was ordered and for his loyalty and word. Then if he is leading revolt that has a solid reason.

Just like Shakuni saying - If dead is Keechaka then slayer is none other than Bheema. Attack Viraat to bring them out. Same as the manipulation at Kunthala. Knowing fully well that love will bring Baahu out against the world even. But here is where the gap widens. He does a good Shakuni manipulation to drive wedge.

But he is directed by Bhalla while Duryodhana was always directed by Shakuni the other way round. Master manipulator is guided and directed by Bhalla twice. Once the scene of asking if he felt like killing his mother. When he says you are drunk. Also Bhalla's acting in front of his mother which Duryodhana never could.

Conclusion

Baahubali has the overall character insights of Bijjala aligned to Dhritharashtra and Shakuni. But Raja Mouli made the distinction by changing the subtleties of the interaction. Thus making Bijjala unique. The frustration, desperation, cunning and the overwhelming desire to make his son the king which he could not all shows Dhritharashtra plus Shakuni.

But the side of evil towards the people is not justice to the two. The underestimation as well as scant respect for Sivagaami is also totally evil and makes Bijjala more potent than the two Mahabharatha manipulators.

So Bijjala outscores as the villain manipulator but falls back with the way Bhallala takes over and manipulates him or guides him. The most important part is totally uncharacteristic of Dhritharashtra the way they torture Devasena. Draupadi is insulted once but not so many times. For so many years also she is not tortured. Nor is she living without her husbands. 

The overall beauty of Baahubali is the way the characters are always more powerfully evil or strong in niceness and naivete unlike Mahabharatha. Even Yudhishtir is not so naive as Amarendra. Nor is Sivagaami like Kunti/ Gaandhari but stronger. Devasena is more strong than Draupadi. Kattappa redeems himself as a Bheeshma , Drona, Krishna later. 

Same way Bijjala makes a more potent villain..