in the beginning

We met on the subway in the dying light of a Monday in January. It was actually the middle of the summertime, summertime with all the windows open, but everything is more romantic in the winter. The only words I heard you speak were Fuck and I hope this subway crashes before I get home to someone on the phone. I imagine that it's your brother or sister and you are very close. Your headphones were a very nice metallic pink. I thought that they had several elements similar to the common stomach medicine. Very Pepto Bismolic.

I liked you because you were not afraid to look at me when I was looking at you very intensely just in case I go blind and you are the last thing I see. Trying to imprint your face into my head.

I am just fucking around. I've never been brave enough to look beautiful in the eye. I was ready for you to kill me but you did not, and for that, I am grateful. 

© @santanaIopez 2016-2020. All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written permission of the publisher, except in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical reviews and certain other noncommercial uses permitted by copyright law.