Monday again

Monday again and I'm thrown back to reality. As any other Monday, I wake up at 5 a.m. and take my clothes for the day to the bathroom, knowing that I have to shower and then head off to work. The good thing about all this is that I don't have to leave my bedroom because my bathroom is in my room, it's one of the little advantages of this house.

I let the water fall and wait for it to heat up while I'm undressing myself and then folding my pajamas. The sensation of the warm water upon my skin wakes me up more than my annoying alarm clock does. I love to feel the creamy soap on my skin as well, but what I love the most about taking showers is that my hair smells clean all day long, it is soft after I apply the conditioner and I feel fresh.

I wrap my towel around my body and dry up my hair a little bit before brushing my teeth. I like to know that my morning breath isn't there anymore, especially after using my purple mouthwash. 

As soon as I'm done cleaning up, I start dressing up. I put on my regular jeans and a light blue tank top. After dressing up I use my hair drier because lately it's been getting colder, and when it's dry I put my hair up in a messy bun.

Before leaving my bedroom I take my black hoodie, tie up my red Converse and put my cellphone and it's charger inside my leather messenger bag where I have my wallet, laptop and a book or two.

I go downstairs to find my grilled cheese sandwich in a Ziploc just how I left it last night. I put it in my bag, grab an apple and pack my blue thermos flask.

I get out of the house and get inside my super tiny car. It's a vanilla yellow Spark, I know that it is small, but it is practical and the best of this one is that at least it's automatic and affordable.

5:45 a.m. and I'm finally heading off to work. You'll see, I work at this nice and cozy coffee shop 10 minutes from my house, and I really love this job, not only for the free coffee, but the money that I make is good and I can go to University in the afternoon.

My mom teaches at my University, she's the History teacher and for me it's great that I don't have her in my subjects, because if I did I would probably fail. I'm studying Philosophy and I want to get a degree in English as well, but I have to work hard for it, and I will to accomplish my goals.

I arrive to work at 5:55 a.m. because the shop opens at 6:30 a.m. and we have to get everything ready and the inventory checked. I normally am the barista because I took a short course, but when Jenna is late or she changed her entrance time, I am the cashier. It's funny that this really simple job gets me distracted and relaxed from all the stress outside. It's like if it was my small happy place, you know? Like a secret spot where you now you can go at any time and read or write as you get disconnected from the noise of the world.

By the way, my name is Alice and I'm 19 years old. I love music and reading is my passion. Writing is my way of expression and I love coffee with cinnamon.

"Hi, Alice. How's it going?"

"Oh, hi Jen. Everything's fine, normal as always. What about you? Did you meet with that Jason guy?"

"Alice! The truth is.... I did. But he's not who I thought he was. He's not my type."

"Come on, you always say that about all the guys you've dated!"

"That's not true! Ray was.."

"Ray was an exception according to you, yeah. Got any interesting news for me?"

"There's a party this Thursday and..."

"Jen, you know I don't go to parties. Something else?"

"Well, tomorrow I'll have the afternoon shift so you'll be cashier."

"Sounds good, now if you would excuse me, I'll go check the inventory." 

 And every day is almost the same. Work, work, coffee break, work, work, break and work. All the same until I leave. From 6:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. I do the same, and I love it.