Chapter 1

She looked beautiful. Her red hair against the falling leaves of autumn matched perfectly. The wind was slightly blowing and it ruffled his hair as the photos were being taken. She watched as everyone with their significant other was having their photo taken, but here she was, alone. She hadn't realized how her moving away to Canada impacted the rest of her friends. Everyone wore big smiles on their faces but her focus was only on her old best friends. They both looked happy. Even Rhydian, who had barely smiled was now laughing and smiling with a happiness that Maddy never knew he had.

She had planned on telling him today. But she hadn't realized that he had moved on. Actually, it was partially her own fault. What could he have expected? She had his number but refused to call, he had called but she also refused to talk to him. She was acting like an idiot. She avoided the subject of him because she didn't want to feel feelings of sadness and love.

She didn't want to admit it but she still loved Rhydian. However, she now knew he had moved on. Maddy looked at Rhydian and Jana, his arm wrapped around her shoulder as he laughed at something Maddy didn't know. It was perfect, but it wasn't Maddy. She even saw that Shannon had Tom, Katrina had Harry, Kara had Jimi and even Kay, the meanest of her group had Dean. Turning away Maddy walked down the gravel path.

She had come here with the full intention of having some fun with her old friends. That's what prom was for, right? But the image of Jana and Rhydian having so much fun completely shattered her once strong confidence. She felt a tear drip down her face and stopped walking. She shook her head. She came here to meet old friends and see what happened to them, not to only confess to Rhydian. She walked back to the lake where everyone was having fun.

But the moment she came back to the main courtyard, she felt her heart stop. Rhydian had just kissed Jana and now she had thrown her hands around his shoulders. Rhydian was almost holding her up as she was somewhat shorter than him. She blinked back tears as she began to step away. She could hear Shannon's squealing and Tom's laughter, beautiful noises she had gone so long without. And then, finally, the dam broke and tears filled with sadness she didn't know she had begun to spill out.

She sat down and tried to breathe but even the air had abandoned her now. "Hey" Maddy whipped her head around at the voice. She watched as a tall boy walked around a tree and came into her view. "Are you alright?" He asked about to take a seat next to her. But Maddy didn't want to talk. She got up and nodded to the boy, making her way back to her car.

"Maddy, right?" He called out running up behind her. Maddy stopped and turned around. "They thought you might come." He said, gesturing to the courtyard. She shrugged at him as she had no answer or way to respond. "Why you leaving?" he asked. "Party's just begun" He gave her a smile as she sniffled again. "I have to do something," Maddy said, trying to create an excuse to get him to leave her alone.

"Fine," He said. "At least tell me why you were crying" Maddy sniffled again, suddenly realizing that this boy was a Wolfblood. "You friends with Rhydian?" She asked, sitting down on a bench and patting the space next to her. "Yeah, best friends." He said sitting down next to her. "Does he even mention me?" She asked, unable to hold the question back. "I'm going to be truthful here and say that the only reason I even know about your existence is from old pictures that he keeps in the back of his art folder." He said, running a hand through his raven black hair.

"Oh," Maddy said. She hadn't realized that the damage she had caused had gone this far. "Honestly though, I became friends with Rhydian the day you left and that's when Jana and Rhydian began getting close." He explained. She nodded as she pulled a stray strand of hair back. "So it's been a year or two, right?" Maddy asked, realizing that his feelings had a lot of time to move on and change. "Yeah..." He replied.

 "You still love him." He said suddenly. Maddy sighed and looked down. She couldn't face him. A tear slowly slid down her face. This boy was right, she did still love him. "Well, why'd you let him go then?" He asked. "I had to move because people found out that I was a Wolfblood," Maddy explained, not wanting to go more in depth. "I didn't want to make any contact from where I moved to here because I was too afraid of the feelings"

The boy nodded as he looked far off into the distance. "Why don't you talk to him now, at least as friends?" He asked. "Because..." She said, breathing through her tears, "Sometimes you have to let go of the ones you love the most," Maddy said as she inhaled again, "To make them happy, even if it doesn't mean you are." Maddy says finally beginning to cry again. "Send my love to him, to them both." Maddy suddenly said, standing up and looking down at him. He nods slowly at her, in response she turned on her heel and walked to the car.

"Actually, I think you should come with me." Maddy turned around as he held out his hand. "We could be friends." He said with a smile. But Maddy was no longer in the denial or sad stage of grief. She wanted revenge. She wasn't sure why or how but she just wanted Rhydian to notice her and Jana to see her and to impress everyone else at the courtyard. "Fine," she said, smoothing out her dress and walking to the boy. "But on one condition" The boy smiled as if he agreed. "You need to pretend to be my boyfriend"