Prologue

~our last goodbye was never said~

"What the hell is happening?"

Steve couldn't do anything but bend down, trying to find his best friend that had just turned to ash in front of him. People were disappearing all around them and there was nothing they could do about it.

Wanda. Where was Wanda?

Natasha was frantic as she ran, trying to find her wife. She couldn't lose her, didn't know what she'd do if she lost her.

"Wanda! Where are you?" She shouted, her eyes glancing every direction in the hope of finding the brunette.

"Nat?" The redhead whipped around, her eyes falling on her wife who sat on the ground near Vision's body. And her heart sank.

Wanda was starting to disappear.

"Wanda, come on. Don't do this, just stay with me." Natasha begged, her vision clouded by her tears as she reached for Wanda's hand and only came up with ash.

"I love you."

"Wanda, no-"

Natasha reached for her wife, her hands falling into the ash of her wife.

***

"Hi, my loves." Natasha had greeted her twin daughters, hugging them tightly as soon as she'd gotten off of the jet in New York, the girls rushing across the grass to meet her.

"Where's Mommy?" Alianovna, the older of the twins had asked, her blue eyes searching for her Sokovian mother. 

Natasha sighed, letting go of the girls so she could face them, two pairs of blue eyes, strikingly similar to Wanda's stared back at her, "I need you to to listen to me-" 

"Did Mommy die?" Klara had asked, her eyes searching, desperate for an answer as Natasha took the girls' hands in hers. 

"Yes, baby. I'm so sorry, girls." Natasha tried to hide the way her voice broke as she hugged her daughters tightly, their tears falling onto her neck.