The Family Saviour

The sun dipped lower over the distant ocean, ripples of molten gold crashing against the shore. For most, it would be a beautiful, peaceful and calming sight. The air was still, the heat of the day fading with the light. The chirping birds and insects that provided a soundtrack to the daytime had fallen silent, finally exhausted by their long and mostly unheard concert. The nocturnal creatures had not yet awakened. 

It seemed as if the day-night cycle itself was taking a nap.

Celeste Vell didn't see it that way. In her eyes, the golden waters resembled flames. Burning down the life she was leaving behind, blocking her escape routes. The distant roar of the ocean could easily be the Gods laughing at her predicament. 

She rested her head against the ornate, twisting pillar that supported the roof of the balcony on which she sat, closing her eyes. She refused to cry, about this or anything else.

"Cel." A voice spoke softly, in order to attract her attention, as a second woman stepped on to the balcony.

Celeste didn't reply for a moment, taking the time to collect herself, but when she did, it was in the voice of someone resigned to their fate.

"I don't want to do this."

A sigh escaped from her companion as she placed a hand on Celeste's shoulder, "I know. You can still escape, you know. There's still time."

Celeste's eyes shot open, watery blue lasers, focusing on the face of her friend. She didn't reply straight away once again, and the other woman flinched slightly at the intensity of the pain her features displayed.

"No." Celeste murmured finally, "I have to do this, Brianna. My parents..." She trailed off, knowing that Brianna knew what she meant.

And know Brianna did. Celeste's parents - her aunt and uncle - had both suffered horrific injuries in a freak accident on their farm, meaning they were unable to work the land anymore. The money was running out and they had nowhere to go when if eventually did. Celeste and Seth, her long-term boyfriend, had tried their hardest to provide for the family but opportunities to work in the fields were dwindling and pay was decreasing as a result of industrialisation.

Then Celeste had visited Brianna, who was in service to the younger sister of a local Baron. During the visit, she'd crossed paths with the young Baron, which had started something of a crush on his part. On discovering her situation, Baron Peter Derille had offered Celeste a deal: he would provide her parents with everything they needed to live well if Celeste agreed to marry him.

At midday tomorrow, Peter and Celeste were due to marry.

Celeste hated Peter. He was cold, interested in only her looks and had manipulated her into agreeing to marry him. 

Celeste and Brianna knew that while Celeste was saving her parents from an undignified death on the streets, she was giving up Seth, the man she truly loved, her freedom and any chance at living a happy life.

Word count: 498

AN: Hey, hope you enjoyed this one. It's for a contest entry for the August prompt in the contest hosted on the @_Once_Upon profile.

Let me know what you thought, maybe even vote or follow if you enjoyed it. Then go and check out other people's entries, and share the support around!