2. The New Kid

Jessica's Pov

"So Jess, are you doing cheer this year." Asked Benny

I nodded to tell Benny that I mean yes. I have been doing cheerleading since I was little. I absolutely loved it. I always loved competitions and dancing on the floor. I have tumbling skills that work in my favor for getting onto the team.

We are walking up to the lunch line. Abby isn't with us because she brings her lunch to school. She never truly enjoyed school lunches.

"So you're trying to get on my team, huh?" Asked Sam.

I smiled at Samantha. Yes, she is the cheerleading captain. I am proud of her for becoming the captain. She shows the commitment, and she deserves the title. I love having a team with friends on it. We moved up in the line, and it was my turn to order some food.

"Pepperoni pizza, please," I ordered.

The scowling lunch lady gave me my pizza, and I moved up in the line. Take a deep breath. Your ex-boyfriend is totally not standing in front of you. Wait, why in the name of heavens does he still bother you? I am he was a complete dirtbag and could never treat a girl the right way. I rolled my eyes and continued to move in the line.

"So, how is your stepmother treating you?" I asked.

"Well, it doesn't help that she pretty much named Ben after me. I mean, what is the point of having two children possibly go by Ben?"

"I know it is the worst."

"What you gonna do? It's not like I can stop it now. I simply just go by Benny."

I grabbed two Oreos and a banana. I also got two pints of chocolate milk and an ice cream sandwich. Honestly, I just love food—my ultimate weakness. Want me to love you, well get me some food and bam. I'm in love with you.

"Jess?"

I froze. The voice of him was so questionable, it can't possibly be him. I missed my best friend from ages ago. Patrick Harper. I guess you can say he is the one that got away. Is he really back?

I simply turned around and spotted him. I dropped my tray of food and gave him an instant hug. I don't care if my ex is looking at me or if I might be stepping in my own pizza. That is not what I'm stepping in, by the way. Gabby was behind us in the lunch line, and she was just as shocked as I was. She looked at me oddly. I closed my eyes and embraced the hug that is long past due. I have missed this man.

"Where have you been? I've missed you." I asked.

Patrick's Pov

Wait a god damn second, the hottie is my old best friend. Holy shit. Jessica Smith is standing right in front of me for the first time in a long time. She is just a year younger than me, but I don't care. I hugged her back. I saw some guy staring at us, and then he just walked away. The lunch lady looked even more pleased than before, and the girl with short blonde hair pulled out her phone. Is that little Gabby?

"Patrick, is it really you?" She asked.

"Obviously. You might just need glasses." I answered.

"I see you still have your sarcastic side.

Holy shit fuck. Mason would kill me for becoming attached to someone already. She grew up well. She grew up the right way with her family. Her family is one of the houses I could stay at when my dad was unstable. Peter, my older brother, left the town as soon as he reached the age of 18. I have two other sisters and two other brothers. My older brother, named Mark Tester, passed away at least ten years ago. He joined a gang and then got shot for something. He was killed by the shot. My little sister named Alyssa Tester is in a foster home with my brother Luke Tester. They both live in Los Angeles. Luke joined a gang, I joined a different one. Alyssa is connected to all three groups. Which I think sucks. My other sister is Rosa Phelps. I don't know where she is. We all have different last names because we didn't want to be found by anybody. I'm with a gang, and Jessica doesn't know my full story. She knows the younger me before I joined a gang.