Prolouge

When a mermaid and a human fall in love, and have a child, that child has the chance of being a mermaid. It is almost a definate chance, however, when a parent is turned into a mermaid before the child is conceived.
  My mother, who is an angel in every respect, fell in love with my father before she turned 18. She was wise beyond her years, and her life suddenly seemed so clear and planned out once she married him. She ran away from home, and her abusive family, and aimed high.
  However, for most people aiming high isn't becoming Queen of the entire western sea board. My father was the future King, and when they wed in secret my grandparents hadn't planned on him already being married to a rather fine young woman.
  In all truths, my mother really is the glorified Queen and angel the people make her out to be. My father is as charming and kind, as he is wise and logical in his decisions.
  Which is why people find it hard to believe that I am their production.
  I am going to be very frank with you, I am not my parents. I am not an angel, nor am I charming or logical. Many times I have been described as impulsive and passionate, as adventurous and hot headed. It's kind of a blessing I was born second after my twin sister, she would take over the crown as the kind and just princess turned queen. She had dad's golden curls, and mom's sky colored eyes. Her tail was a pure, pure white, with an irridecent golden shine in the light of the sun. She was royalty in looks and in personality, and then there is me.
I love my twin. She is my best friend, and completes my life. But there's a reason faturnal twins excist. I look like my mother, with her tanned skin and dark hair, as wavy and wild as a raging tide. I always smelled like salt, not like vanilla or cocnuts. My jaw was strong, sharp, and stubborn. My eyes were more like the night sky that the day, dark blue and mysterious. Mother called me 'a dark kind of beautiful', with dark eyes and hair like mine.
  I enjoyed reading and painting the horizan, where my sister swam all day, tending to the sea. She inherited the powers of the sea, and moved the ties. I inherited the power of any ordinary mermaid. I could grow and tend Mermaid Kelp. I could grow a tail.
  I wasn't vengeful. I wasn't full of rueful hatred. I loved my sister, and when the aspect of the crown grew to heavy on her heart, and the binds of royalty tied her too far into her own head, we would escape to our own secret place. We played in coral reefs, chased fish, and she taught me little things that dhe had learned about Queen etiquette. It was boring, and I never really understood how she sat there and listened to the endless Elders who taught her.
  My own studies consisted of maths and history and anything the people learned. It was hilarious how trashiest the American school system was, and mom found pleasure in finding I would learn pretty much the same stuff, just a less violent history line.
  It was after our lessons one day that mr and my sister went to a small sea cave hidden in the rocks.
  As cliche as it is, we didn't bring a guard, and an assassin poisoned my sister with one of the only illnesses that can kill a mermaid.
  My sweet sister died that night, and I was left as heir.
  This terrible beginning is where we start our story.