After Panem

To Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, and the rest of the Hunger Games cast.

Chapter 1

Prim was sitting in the garden near the house. Her blonde braids revealing themselves as I approach her. Kids playing and laughing. Those sounds of 12 that can't ever come back to me. The brisk wind blowing my bangs in front of my eyes. Right when I was going to speak to Prim, a hot and vulgar gust of air blinded me. I felt encircled by a dark presence. Prim slowly began to turn her head to face me. Although her majestic and beautiful face was no longer present. I saw her face mutate into President Snow's. The heat's conductor exposed itself. The enormous flames that brought down my home. I saw them unfold in front of me right there. I saw my people burn before me, right there.

I found myself crying in bed and I realize that my panic attack woke up Willow. Rye was sound asleep on his bed.

"Peeta?" I call out in the darkness of our living room. A light goes on by the door. There was Peeta standing half asleep with Willow.

"Another nightmare?" He asks.

"Yeah. Hey sweetie, did I wake you up?" I asked Willow. She nods.

"C'mon Will, let's get ya' back to bed," says Peeta.

"Okay, bye mommy." She says. I'm pretty sure her eyes were nearly closed when she said that.

"Sleep tight." I tell her.

Peeta came back a few moments later. He flicks the lights switch off and walks over to bed. He sighs as he lies down. I look over to the clock. 2:54 am.

"Get some sleep Katniss." He tells me. He muffles me with his arm. The silent and forsaken sound of our Victors' Village puts me to sleep immediately.

Chapter 2

I wake up to the chirping of the forest birds. I slide out of bed and search for my boots. I'm as quiet as possible when I exit the house. I head north to the square. I observe the usual environment of the remains of 12. I try to explain to myself why there is a strange feeling in the atmosphere once I arrive at the square. I focus my attention on a flickering golden item in the center of the square. I just noticed it and I wasn't sure if I should go analyze it. My conscious leads me to it.

It's a golden box. I pick it up when I decide it's safe. Inside, is all the photos of District 12's residents. They're all present except for Peeta's, Prim's, Mother's, and mine. I hear a shuffle of feet on the contrary side of where I'm standing.

"Looking for these?" The boy asks. He waves another bundle of photographs. He nears me with hesitation. He glances at my bow and hands me the photos.

"Where did you get these?" I question.

"Johanna have 'em to me." He responds.

"What Johanna?" I ask him.

"Johanna.... Mason." He replies.

"What! Where is she?" I inquire. He leads me from the square. I'm not sure I trust him. He could just be a planned scheme from the Capitol.

"Hey, um. What's your name?" I try to sound discreet in case this is a trap.

"Duncain.... Mason." He answers. I don't really acknowledge his last name. He's around fifteen or so. Tanned skin with darkish hair. He's about Peeta's height and has the similar body form.

"I'm Kat-" I say.

"I know who you are." He interrupts and smiles. I felt kind of embarrassed.

We traveled west until we stopped at a ravine. That's where I saw Johanna. She gasped when she saw me. We both rushed to hug eachother.