Of Course

Lance bit his lip as he made his way down the hall, eyes darting around to observe the familiar flood of people walking around him. His fingers dug aimlessly into the cover of his textbook.

His nerves were high as he neared his classroom, he could barely stand to face the people he knew. It was all too much, he didn't want any of this. He didn't want any of them. Not when they did so little for him but so much to him.

You see, Lance was someone that you would call popular. He genuinely enjoyed people and loved to make others happy. Essentially everyone knew him, knew that he was a person they could turn to or just simply converse with.

He was happy most of the time, quick to laugh, flirt, and joke around. He would help people to his own detriment. Because his nature was so caring and accepting, most of his peers had grown to admire him.

It was unfortunate that he couldn't see how many people cared for him in return.

All Lance could ever fathom was that he was just another useless popular person, or worse yet, a nuisance. He thought this was mostly due to the fact that he was never anyone's first choice. He had dozens and dozens of friends, but yet he never found himself being the first to be asked to hang out. It was always someone else.

He didn't hold this against anyone, he was aware that he was a natural second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, or even seventh wheel. That was just who he was.

Most days Lance could ignore this fact, he could disregard it and be happy. But this wasn't one of those days. He felt as though no one needed him. No one cared.

Far too soon, Lance stood in front of the door to his classroom. He wasn't going to let this get in his way. His lips quirked up in a false smile, and he sauntered in, dropping his stuff on his desk in a carefree manner and starting light conversation with his classmates.

He hated himself for this. He wished desperately that he had someone to turn to in times like this, that he could just speak his mind. But no. He was the person other people turned to. He had no one to return the favor.

Of course, there was always Hunk or Pidge, but neither of them would understand. They would write him off like they always did. He was Lance. He couldn't possibly have any problems. He was perfect.

The class passed by uneventfully, giving Lance the perfect time to think. Think about his uselessness. He didn't want to think, but did his mind care? No.

When there were two more minutes left before the bell rang, he was approached by another student. He had surprisingly been left alone up till then, and he tossed one of his dazzling smiles at the man, saddened by the fact that he couldn't force it to be bigger, happier.

"H-hi." The student spoke quietly, and as Lance inspected the other more, he came to the realization that he knew him.

It was Keith. Pidge's best friend. One of Lance's eyebrows rose in question, confused as to why Pidge's friend would be coming up to him like this.

"Lance... I..." Keith struggled to find words as he averted eye contact, crossing his arms in nervousness.

"Yep, what is it? What'd ya need?" Lance replied with false ease, his face a façade of cheerfulness.

"I was wondering if... ah, this probably sounds really weird, I'm sorry... I wanted to ask if you are okay? You seem... off, today." Keith's hands shook, he was afraid of doing what he was doing, but then again, he was terribly impulsive.