Gifted : Sequel??? part 1

I do not own this movie. Great job to Chris Evans and McKenna Grace for inspiring me to write this fanfic!

"Mary! Wake up! You have school!" Frank Adler was bent over the stove making sure the scrambled eggs weren't burnt like the last time.

It had been three months since the trial that had threatened to take Mary away from him and Frank was just thankful to whatever God was out there that everything had worked out fine.

Failing to hear any response from his seven year old niece, he sighed. Frank placed the newly cooked scrambled eggs that were (thankfully not burnt) onto a clean plate and wiped his hands with a kitchen cloth.

He made his way upstairs towards Mary's room, glancing at his watch as he ascended the wooden steps.

Upon arriving in front of his niece's room, Frank knocked on the door. "Mary. Time to wake up. If you don't leave now, you'll be late for sure. "

He heard a series of shuffling feet and the sound of the doorknob twisting. Mary Adler emerged from her room, her hair a nice shade of blonde, similar to his sister, Diane's.

"Mary. You ready to go?" Frank looks at Mary who has her school bag shrugged over her left shoulder. She had on a simple red polka dot dress and a pair of pink shoes that Roberta had bought her for her birthday last year.

Mary had been able to fit in perfectly into her surroundings ever since she was allowed to study at the Oaks Academy for gifted youngsters. There were no complaints from the child and Frank was just happy for his niece.

Mary nodded blankly, as if she hadn't really heard his question. "Okay. Come on. Did you finish your homework?" Frank asked as he and Mary made their way towards his outdated blue truck. Mary nodded once again, silent.
Frank frowned. Mary was never this quiet. Usually she'd be up and excited early in the morning and talking to Frank. Something was definitely bothering her. But he didn't pay much attention to it as he thought that maybe it was her hormones acting up.

The whole ride to Oaks Academy was silent, Mary having not uttered a single sound the entire thirty minute journey. She had been staring out at the window, not chatting excitedly like always.

Frank had dropped her off at the school gates and waved her off. Mary had barely returned the gesture as she stalked off further into the schoo compound, leaving Frank to stand there to wonder what was going on with his niece.

Frank's POV/

"I don't know Bonnie. Mary's been acting a little stranger than usual lately." Frank blurted out. Bonnie Stevenson, his official girlfriend sat beside him at Fridays, the bar that they would often go to to meet up and discuss their problems.

"Really? How so?" Bonnie asked as she sipped her martini. Eversince the trial, she had felt bad for Mary and had grown quite attached to Frank.

"Well, she's been quieter than usual lately and she barely said anything to me this morning. All Mary does is nod to my questions, like she's not even there." Frank sighed as he raked his hand through his hair, taking a swing of from his beer can.

Bonnie placed a reassuring hand on Frank's arm and gave him a warm smile. "Don't worry. Just give her some time. Maybe it's just a phase that'll pass by quickly before you know it."

"How many seven year olds do you know ignores their elderly other than the ones that have been treated wrongly by said elderly?" Honestly, Frank was worried. But he cast her a smile in return.