When Rolf met Luna (Harry Potter Fanfiction)

It was dark in the woods. The tall pine trees reached for the sky, their dark green needles piercing the grey atmosphere. A winding path lead through the foliage, engraved stones carefully placed around the border. If you looked carefully you could see that the small inscriptions were cautiously spelt out names, carefully scratched into the soft rocks. Someone had spent a long time doing this, and the young man wandering down the road wanted to know who. He propped the special goggles on his head and stepped onto the cream coloured pebbly path, wincing at the loud crunch; any animals that were near would now be gone. Taking cautious steps, so not to unsettle any Calxa Bugs that may be hiding among the grit, he advanced forwards. This was, in fact, the perfect place to find them, as well as several other creatures like the class XXXX Sen'isset he'd been tracking for days. His father believed this was the last one in Britain, because there hadn't been a report for 8 years. The ministry had rather given up on Sen'issets, but if anyone was to find a 6 eyed fox hybrid, he would. Off topic, he reminded himself.

You are going to find who spends their life making rocks that no one ever sees. Instead of searching for the creature that could make your life amazing. You could prove to the ministry that your family have not turned mad. You could find a bloody Sen'isset. But no. The grandson of the most famous naturalist ever wants to follow the yellow brick.... stone road. Mad.

Not that the ministry of magic would particularly care. Shacklebolt was a nice enough guy, but to be honest, he really did raise an eyebrow at some of the ideas they'd bought to him. It was; "I'm sorry Rolf, but we really are too busy to fund a.... expedition right now."

It was absolutely fair of course. He ought to keep his brain in check more often. The minister was still clearing up after the war. Half the ministry building was smashed up, Hogwarts was still in ruins, the students running through debris to their classes, St Mungos was full of unfortunate cases, and even after two years there were some Death Eaters still at large, hiding out in dark forests. Taking a step back the youth looked around. The rocks could easily have been a ploy to lead people into the lair of-

He scanned his brain for a well-known death eater.

Ummmmmmmm

Rodolphus Lestrange. He could be anywhere. Anywhere!

Cut it out idiot! You are going to find who put these here, and then you can run.

His dark shadow chased him down the road, skipping in and out of the rocky bottomed river, when finally, the carved pebbles ended. Looking around, Rolf saw a girl crouched at the bottom of a tree, her brow furrowed in concentration. She looked about his age, maybe a year or so younger. Her light blonde hair dangled in front of her face, glowing like burnished gold in the patch of sunlight. The girl wore as odd a combination of clothes as Rolf did. Her hair was capped off by a strange blue cap with several wires sticking out of them. An odd pair of glasses, that didn't really look like they did much sat on her face. You could vaguely see beneath the thick frames that her eyes were a soft grey-blue. As Rolf stepped forwards to say hello, and ask about her odd profession, a twig beneath his foot snapped.

The serene look faded and the girl jumped up, wand in hand.

"Expelliarmus!"

As she spoke, with a lilting Irish accent, Rolf felt his wand fly out of his hand. She caught it deftly and then, head on one side, like a little bird, she said plainly,

"Oh. You aren't a Death Eater after all. Well, you certainly aren't a Blibbering Humdinger."

She laughed lightly at the joke, which made about 0 percent sense and then tossed the wand back.

"Who are you, and what are you doing?" Rolf asked bluntly, catching it. He did not take kindly to being disarmed and then compared to an imaginary creature.

"I could ask you the same thing!"

The girl sat back down, positioning herself against the tree, and then motioned for him to sit as well.

"I'm Luna Lovegood, and-"

Rolf couldn't resist.

"I've heard of you! You fought in the battle of Hogwarts and you're on a chocolate frog card!"

Luna looked at him with a half reprimanding, half amused expression.

"Yes, and if you've finished acting half your age then I'll continue. I was born, went to Hogwarts, fought in the battle, the end."

He rolled his eyes, but then, it was a bit odd that he sat next to her and asked for her life story.

"No, what are you doing now?"

She sighed.

"I lost a lot of people I love and care for, and I know people whose lives were ruined by loss. I have nothing to do with my life, so Professor Flitwick- a professor at Hogwarts- suggested I do this, a memorial to all those who died. Each name is a loved one lost."

They sat there for a few minutes, her clever eyes taking in every crevice of his face. Rolf didn't know what he thought of Luna. She was very calm, in a sort of pensive way, gazing off into the horizon, or swatting at the things on her head. At one point, muttering something that sounded suspiciously like Nargles, she got up and walked around with a weird, multi-coloured device that made bleeping noises ever few seconds. Then she sighed, tossing the object back in her bag. Rolf could have sworn he saw a tear in her eye.

"So," she said sitting back down, "What about you? Who are you?"

"Rolf Scamander."

Seeing her eyes lighten he carried on

"Yes, as in Newt Scamander, Scamander. I'd say your about my age, but you've never seen me at Hogwarts because I was home-schooled. I don't know why, I guess my parents were just rich enough."

The last sentence he said bitterly. Thanks to his parents he'd never had a friend.

"I've always aspired to be a Magizoologist like my Grandfather, and that's what I'm doing, I guess."

"I'd love to be a Magizoologist too. My dad was one but...."

Rolf's heart went out to her.

"He died?"

"No." She said, shaking her head slightly. "Not dead but, but when my mother died, a part of him sort of....disappeared. He'd always been in his own world, but then, instead of donating the bulk of his time to real live creatures, beings were everywhere. It was to cope with the loss, he became obsessive about it. The Quibbler had always been an odd magazine but with dad at the head it was one man's fanatical dream printed on paper, a world of dreams. When I got old enough, he taught me all of it. I was just the same as he was, and in some ways I still am, stuck in a habit. Then two years ago.... The death eaters. Dad did too much. He'd got caught up in something else, helping Harry. They took me, and it was like he lost ma again. They tortured him, Rolf."

Rolf didn't know what to say. They sat there awkwardly, for about 5 minutes, when she spoke, atear escaping from her eyes.

"He may not be dead, but he's lost."

She smiled sadly, her eyes downcast. Rolf, in a complete haze of stupidity and pity, tilted her chin to face his, and kissed her.

Luna kissed back.

One thing was certain. This was better than any Sen'isset.

a/n: thats it!!!!:) i know it wasnt great, and if you see an error POINT IT OUT! i really wanted to write a luna fanfic so i did. this is how i envision her meeting her future husband. i think it would be a bit more prolonged but i wanted to get it up tonight so i rushed a bit:( sorry:( i hope you enjoyed it though!

~H:)